When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




November 20, 2008

Clean Out The Fridge and Slab On A Few More Pounds Soup


Next Thursday is Thanksgiving. I love this holiday, no heavy duty decorating, no expensive gifts to buy, just family feeling thankful for everything we have been given and lots of eating. I have to admit with all the cooking that goes on that day I usually sit down to eat only to realize I am not hungry. Some how I manage to fill my plate and , well indulge.

Two or three days after Thanksgiving I always make this soup. This is a recipe my mom gave me. I've never written it down before but here goes. Also I must explain save your carcass. Your turkey carcass that is. After your Thanksgiving meal take the turkey and pick it clean so you can have left over turkey for sandwiches and such. Then take the carcass wrap it in plastic, put it in Tupperware, cover it with foil. I don't care. Just put it in the fridge and save it a couple of days. Until you are ready to make soup. mmmmmm sounds yummy already right?!

I must also say do not even attempt this recipe unless you make gallons of gravy for your meal and have a lot of left overs.

Ingredients:

1 turkey carcass (remember yummy)
1 onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, sliced
6 to 8 potatoes peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
2 to 3 yam peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
3 carrot's peeled and sliced
2 to 3 cups left over turkey meat sliced into large bite sizes
Left over gravy at least 2 cups
Left over stuffing at least 2 cups

You will need a large stock pot with a lid for this recipe emphasis on the LARGE.

Take turkey carcass and put it in the pot. The bones from the turkey add flavor and vitamins that are good for you. ( in case you were wondering)
Cover the turkey with water, then put it on the stove. Turn heat on to medium, preferably on the burner you have placed pot on.

Put into pot:
onion, celery, potatoes, yams, and carrot's
Add 1 TBS. of salt and 1 teas. black pepper

Things should be warming up now, providing you have turned the right burner on. I say this for my mother's benefit, she does this kind of thing. ( a lot )


Today I told her she was old and acted old. It's a long story that I won't go into. I also want to add that it is not as mean as it sounds. She said to me "HOW DO I ACT OLD? Only my blindness." I said "Well other than the fact that just this minute we both got back home from twinsy mammogram appointments so you could have someone drive you. And yes you are blind in one eye. ( another long story) You are on blood thinners so you won't throw another clot to the lung. We take you to the hospital at least twice a year, and you can't remember which burner to turn on for starters. She huffed and got out of my truck as soon as I went and got her a stool to step down on. I think she was hurt.


Anyway. Let this cook on medium heat for around 20 minutes to 1/2 an hr.
When veggies are nice and soft, take the carcass out of the pot. You will notice meat will have cooked off the bone and that is great. Leave it in the pot. However, you will need to thoroughly check pot for little bones that may have fallen off the turkey. You don't want those. You can strain the soup to make sure there are no bones. ( I never do, it's not the Holiday's until someone has a little turkey bone stuck in their throat.)

After all that:
Take your gravy and mix it in the soup. Then take your stuffing and mix it in. Taste it to see if it needs salt or pepper, maybe some lard. The lard is a joke, obviously this is not a low cal meal. But it is GOOD.
Let this mixture simmer for about 10 minutes and yum it is ready.
Goes great with Jiffy Rolls!!!!!

3 comments:

Rachel Ann said...

I saw your comment over at SITS that you are new...WELCOME! I hope you enjoy getting to know everyone. I haven't been a part of SITS that long, but I love it!!1

The Pachuilo Family said...

I am so glad that you are doing this, I am always looking for new recipes. I will sure miss Thanksgiving in Utah. I do however always make tons of gravy, gotta lov it! :)
We love you

Michelle said...

This sounds delish! and a great way to get rid of leftovers!