When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




December 14, 2008

Almond Shortbread

My sister in law gave me this recipe. She won't give me her cupcake recipe's though, something about trying to start her own business!!(So selfish) Anyway she does make the best cupcakes EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you want to order any from her leave me a comment and I'll get you the #. You will not be disappointed, well when your butt won't fit on the sofa any more you might be. I don't know. Just think, White Chocolate Raspberry, Key Lime, Spice, Strawberry, you name it she makes it. Damn it now I want a cupcake!!
I forgot what I was even talking about. Oh yeah, Almond Shortbread.
(i would rather have a cupcake)
I'm selling this recipe short here and I don't mean to, because these are Delish. (i still want a cupcake)

Ingredients:
I should say this is one of my dad's favorites. It reminds him
of his days in Scotland when he was a wee babe. ( not really - he was not born in Scotland, but my grandpa was) now on with this recipe:

2 Cups flour
1 Cup sugar
1 Cup butter, softened
1 egg, separated
1/2 teas. pure almond extract
1 TBS. water
sliced almonds and/or turbinado sugar

Beat together the butter, sugar, egg yolk, flour and almond extract until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a baking/cookie sheet. Beat egg white with the TBS. of water and brush over the dough. Sprinkle with sliced almonds and/or turbinado sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 15 - 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool and slice into rectangles.

Bet you can't eat just one!!

Turbinado Sugar: YOU MUST READ THIS WITH AN ENGLISH ACCENT WHILE WEARING SPIKE HEELS: (my sister in law is English, this of coarse makes everything sound very fru fru. my brother wears the spike heels which makes everything very weird.)
Turbinado sugar is a raw sugar that has been steam - cleaned. The course crystals are blond in color and have a delicate molasses flavor. ( see it sounds cooler w/ an English accent, right?!)




6 comments:

krissy said...

I will never be able to bake with turbinado sugar without thinking of your brother now!! I am going to try these, because I love shortbread!

I am also going to make your eggnog, because my boys are begging me to make it. I am afraid it will make me fat, though. (Not the making of it, but I can't make it without drinking it.)

Lisa @ Serah's said...

Wow your sister makes great cupcakes and my sister makes great cornbread. We'd better watch our figures around them. My cupcake soaps help fight the urge. ;)

tara @ kidz said...

You're a NUT. ;O)

Shellmo said...

Sounds like a great recipe!

ann said...

NOW NANA THEATS A RECIPE I CAN COOK.I ADORE SEE'S CANDIES.NOW YOU'VE GOT ME HUGRY FOR SOME AND IT'S 20 DEGREES IN DALLAS,TX WITH SNOW FLURRIES.WHAT HAPPENED TO 75 DEGREES?...BRR ANN

Michelle said...

This sounds so good. My Mom's Grandparents came over from Scotland.