When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




December 11, 2008

Applesauce Jumbles


I was going through my recipes and found this oldy but goody. These are great for Christmas time. Like the Oatmeal cookies I actually like the raisins in these cookies. Maybe I do like raisins and think I don't.
Ingredients:
2 3/4 Cups flour
1 1/2 Cups packed dark brown sugar (I love dark brown sugar ummmmmmm dark brown sugar.)
1 Cup raisins
1 Cup Nuts ( I like walnuts ummmmmmmm walnuts.)
3/4 Cups applesauce
1/2 Cup shortening
1 teas. salt
1 teas. cinnamon
1 teas. vanilla
1/2 teas. baking soda
2 eggs
Mix all ingredients. Drop dough by TBS. or bigger on the cookie sheet. Bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 10 - 13 minutes. I got looking at the directions I have printed here and I don't like them. Cream the shortening, applesuace, eggs, vanilla and sugar together in a large mixing bowl. then add dry ingredients. Leaving raisins and nuts for last. Mix all together then bake.

Now comes the good part:

Brown Butter Glaze:
Heat 1/3 Cup butter over low heat until it turns a golden brown. Remove from heat. Stir in 2 Cups powdered sugar and 1 1/2 teas. vanilla
Beat in 2 to 4 TBS. HOT water until smooth and you have your desired consistency (Yes, once again you must take responsibility for your own consistency, whether it be in life or with your frosting. It is all up to you my friend! John Mcain, McCain, whatever, could have used that in a speech. That "my friend" stuff kind of bugged me. I think that's why he lost. Yeah.)

O.K. Now you eat all the frosting and make another batch for the cookies. I swear it says that on the recipe!
Frost cookies while they are still warm, not hot, warm. Follow my directions or you won't have the right frosting consistency. Hot = Runny. Warm = Right!

Ummmmmmm Applesauce Jumbles. Enjoy!

5 comments:

ann said...

your recipes always look soooooo good...ann

ann said...

FYI.I THOUGHT I HAD BECOME A FOLLOWER ALREADY.HUMMM.SO I JOINED AGAIN.I STILL DON'T SHOW?????????

ann said...

i know,it's so confusing.but i'm still so proud i can do what i have done.that's what kept me from blogging so long.i didn't think i could do all this,ha...ann

Michelle Sybert said...

Came over from SITS after I saw you comment about the "smokey eye" and rubbing your eyes to get that perfect look! I thought that was so funny!

anyway, just thought I'd say Hi!

~Michelle

Martha said...

You are funny, my friends indeed. I love mixing baking w/a little spice. The Brown Butter Glaze, OMG, that would be delightful on gingerbread.
Thank you also for your sweet comment on my blog, I send my best.