When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




December 17, 2008

Clam Chowder

If I can get some sort of nap today I will be making this for dinner tonight. If I don't get a nap I will just throw cans of clams at certain people.

Ingredients:
2 - 3 cans minced clams ( I use 3)
1 Cup finely chipped onion (should say chopped) I have had 2 1/2 hrs of sleep.
1 Cup finely chopped celery
2 Cups cubed potatoes ( I so about 3 cups.)

Drain juice from clams ( save it) Put veggies in a large stock pot add water to cover. Add the clam juice.
Add 1 TBS. salt and add some pepper - not too much. Simmer 12 - 15 min. until veggies are tender. Add Clams. Remove from heat.

Make a white sauce:

3/4 Cup butter
1/2 teas. salt
3/4 Cup flour
1 quart 1/2 and 1/2

On medium heat.
Melt butter add salt and flour. Stir until well combined and not lumpy. Start to slowly add 1/2 and 1/2 while stirring. ( it may lump up, don't freak just keep stirring.) When it is smooth slowly add the juice from the veggies. ( it may lump up, don't freak just keep stirring) When it is smooth
add the veggies and clams. Let simmer until it thickens up a bit. Keep a close eye on it so it does not burn on the bottom. Stir occasionally, while it is simmering. Salt and pepper to tast. Serve nice and hot.
Once again I hope this makes sense.

We love Clam Chowder with hard rolls that are chuck full of butter.

3 comments:

JANE said...

Oh Nana, I just LOVE clam chowder!!

Buttercream Cottage said...

My father made this the other day and it came great.

The Acting Mom said...

Visiting from SITS.
I love clam chowder but have never made it from scratch. I will have to give it a try!