When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




December 27, 2008

Coq au Vin (Pretty Fancy huh?) Oh and it is a Crock pot meal.


I made this the other night. It was a perfect meal!!! Especially one fit for a cold winter day. Plus I was so busy with the Christmas doings, that it was great to just throw it in the Crock.
Ingredients:

Nonstick cooking spray
3 pounds chicken thighs, skinned. ( it take 2 seconds to skin to rip the skin off, so stop your griping.)
1 envelope package beefy onion soup mix. ( That is code for Lipton Onion Soup Mix)
2 Cups quartered fresh mushrooms
1 1/2 Cups frozen small whole onions ( Yes they exist.)
3 medium carrots, cut into 3" sticks
1/2 Cups dry red wine ( I used 1/2 cup chicken broth and I'd say 1/4 Cup grape juice. I drank the wine w/ lunch o.k.)

Hot cooked mashed potatoes (optional) I say these are not optional. I never like using instant potatoes but, I was in a rush so, I used them. It was still delish. I think real mashed would be better but if your in a hurry I can certainly recommend the instant variety.
Especially the ones from Welfare Square Dry Pack.

1. Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken thighs, several at a time, in the hot skillet until brown. Drain off fat.

2. Place chicken thighs in a slow cooker (Crock pot) Sprinkle chicken thighs with dry soup mix. Add mushrooms, onions, and carrots. Pour wine over all in cooker.

3. cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hrs. or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hrs.
If desired, served with mashed potatoes.
Makes 4 servings.

(You know the daughter I have , the move in, well she thinks I joke around too much about drinking. You know the old alcohol. Well as I have mentioned before I don't really drink, but if she keeps nagging I can guarantee I will START! Not Really.)

6 comments:

ann said...

Well I didn't know that.Amazing what we cook and don't know what all it is called.Thank you Nana...Ann

Alexis said...

Nana that looks yummy!

From your mouth to God's ears, exchange is so what might be what happens. This has been one heck of ride. I put an email out to the place to see if we can have someone come talk with him. Let's see what happens.

Messy Jess said...

mmm. delishious! I keep thinking of you and your houseguests. We lived with my mother in law for 9 months. Too much fun. he he

Janna said...

this looks really good. I will have to try it!

Maven said...

I just can't wait to try this!

星爺Frank said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.