When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




December 9, 2008

Ginger Cookies




I found this recipe years ago. In fact I think of these cookies and the fun memories they bring back are priceless. I would mix up the dough, roll it and cut it w/ all kinds of Christmas cookie cutters. I would make up a batch of Royal Icing (or two or three) and color it with all kinds of colors.
NOTE: Go to a specialty store to get , soft gel paste food color. It is more vibrant then the grocery store stuff. I go to Gygi's here in Salt Lake to get mine.
I would buy little cheap paint brushes and the kids would go nuts painting those cookies.
There would be frosting from one end of the kitchen to the other. It was fun chipping that stuff off of the walls, floor, furniture etc. Yeah... Good Times.
I think you could actually use Royal Icing as mortar, no need for cement.
I need to find the pictures of my kids painting these cookies and post them.
O.K. enough going down memory lane.

Ingredients:
6 Cups all purpose flour
1 TBS. baking soda
1 TBS. ground ginger
1 teas. each of ground cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg
1/2 teas. salt
1 Cup solid vegetable shortening, melted and cooled slightly
1 Cup molasses
1 Cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 Cup water
1 large egg
1 teas. vanilla extract
1. Mix flour, baking soda, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
2. Beat shortening, molasses, sugar, water, egg and vanilla in a large mixing bowl with electric mixer until well blended.
3. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Dough will be soft. Refrigerate at least 3 hrs.
4. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Have cookie sheets ready.
5. On lightly floured surface with lightly floured rolling pin, roll out to 1/4" thickness
6. Cut out with cookie cutter. Place 1" apart on cookie sheet.
Re-roll and cut excess dough.
7. Bake 10 t0 12 minutes.
8. Cool on wire rack. Can be stored in airtight container 3 weeks.
9. Frost with Royal Icing


There is much controversy these days about making Royal Icing with egg whites. Something about Salmonella poisoning. ( pish posh I say!) I make sure I use fresh eggs and no one has died yet. If however, you are a mambi pambi go to a specialty store like Gygi's ( in Salt Lake) and buy the powdered egg crap they sell to make Royal Icing. I should not call the stuff crap because I have never actually used it. I guess I'm just Old School. ( yeah that's right I said it) anyway here is the "Old School" recipe for Royal Icing.
DISCLAIMER: IF YOU MAKE AND USE THIS RECIPE, IT IS NOT MY FAULT IF ANYONE GETS VIOLENTLY ILL OR DIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! O.K. then here is the recipe:

Royal Icing:
Whites from 3 large eggs
1/2 teas. Cream of Tartar
1 lb. powdered sugar

1. In a large bowl beat egg whites and Cream of Tartar with electric mixer until frothy.
2. Gradually add confectioners (powdered) sugar and beat 5 t0 7 minutes until glossy, stiff
peaks form when beaters are lifted. Makes 2 1/2 Cups.
3. When working with frosting keep covered so it won't dry out.
To thin icing add a few drops of water until desired consistency.

That's what my family will be eating this Christmas season. We like to live on the edge.
Really I feel if the eggs are fresh there is not a problem with this recipe, but again I must say.
DISCLAIMER: IF ANYONE MAKES AND USES THIS RECIPE AND BECOMES VIOLENTLY ILL OR DIES, IT IS NOT MY FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




4 comments:

Marshmallow Circus said...

Darn, I am really hungry now!

Martha said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog.
These look delicious and always like to live life dangerously...tee hee

tara @ kidz said...

pish posh!

Bennett Bunch said...

I love these cookies and can't wait to eat them! I have eatned them for 6 years now and have NEVER gotten sick, atleast not from the icing, just from eating so many! December is a hard month to start my diet (well that is pretty much every month for me).