When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




December 29, 2008

I'll Show ya where you can put that Candy Cane!!! Peppermint Dessert

m Mom made the dessert, so she wanted the picture of her snowman in here.

This is a very Yummy dessert!. My mother in law used to make it every New Years Day for her mother. January 1st was Grandma Schwarz birthday. I guess we are not important enough because she hasn't made it for 21 years now. We have to make our own!

My mom has had this recipe forever too. I can't find my recipe so I went next door to borrow mom's and let me tell you it might as well be written in German. Let's hope I can decipher this mumbo jumbo
1. 1 box vanilla wafers 16 oz.
1/2 Cup melted butter
Crush the vanilla wafers in a food processor, blender, or over your kids heads. I don't care just get them crushed. I prefer the latter way of doing it.
Save some of the wafer crumbs to sprinkle on top of finished dessert. ( I never do this, I know I am rebellious.)
Mix the rest of the crumbs with the melted butter and press in a 9 x 13" pan or 2 pie pans.

2. Take 18 whole marshmallows and cut them into 6 to 8 pieces each. I know you are thinking "Why not just use mini marshmallows?" Well you can but they do not absorb into the rest of the mixture as well as the cut up big marshmallows. Plus mom does not have the proper amount of marshmallows needed written on this mess of a recipe card. Set the marshmallows aside.(I'm sick of marshmallows already let us move on.)

3. In a large bowl mix and add :
1 Cup crushed peppermint candy (candy canes are peppermint candy... for you slow people. )
1 Cup chopped walnuts
( Now on this card, right under 1 cup chopped walnuts, she has 2 Cups chopped walnuts. What's up with that? We are sticking to 1 cup chopped walnuts. (I'm sick of walnuts already let us move on.)
2 Cups whipped whipping cream ( I like heavy cream, that's why I'm fat.)

4. Mix all ingredients, including the marshmallows together until nicely blended. Pour mixture into the prepared pan or pans. (Remember, the ones with the mashed up crumb crust in it or them. Whatever.) Put in the freezer until almost ready to serve or leave it in the freezer until ready to serve. ( I don't care if your guests break their teeth.)

5. Drizzle with chocolate sauce before serving. (optional) This is a huge controversy in our family. If you want to see a good fist fight, pour chocolate sauce on my Peppermint Dessert!! I love chocolate, but not on my Peppermint Dessert. ( I'm sick of Peppermint Dessert already I am moving on.)

Enjoy!!


6 comments:

Buttercream Cottage said...

LOL...I wish you had a cooking show on Food Network.

Cynthia said...

That sounds yummy (and naughty). I particularly enjoyed your commentary- sorta painted the picture of the marshmallow slicing so well! LOL!

Thanks for visiting my blog. Hope you don't mind if I follow but you are a funny woman and I'm always jonesing for a good laugh.

Besides, you post about food. And I always love to read about THAT!

JANE said...

ROFL, OK this is the funniest receipe you've posted!! LOVE IT!!
And just give me the heavy cream to drink cause tha's why I'm fat, LOL!!!

Alexis said...

I agree with Buttercream you so need a cooking show! Love it!

Yup I was worried about that, that's why I threw in the Lego comment ;). Don't want someone with a sense of humor to get upset.

Maven said...

You are such a hoot!

I'm glad you liked the Giada recipe. I found it to be really fresh and bright.

Sera said...

I think I might be the only person in the family who does not LOVE it! But if you ask real nicely, mom will make it. She has done it for Lou-Lou on a few occasions.