When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




December 31, 2008

Raspberry Rice Surprise


I don't know if it's just me, but when I first heard of this recipe I thought it would be something like rice with raspberry jam. That did not sound yummy to me. Anyway good old mom made it for dessert one night and OH it IS yummy.
It is also a pretty looking dessert.

I have to hurry and make this post because Papa has to go have his sinus surgery, sometimes he is such a drag.

Taylor and my daughter in law Aisha are going to JoAnne's craft store but do I get to go? NO! That Papa.

Ingredients:


1 Cup uncooked white rice
3 Cups boiling water
3/4 teas. salt
1/2 Cup sugar
2 TBS. honey
1/4 teas. almond extract (optional , if you are an idiot - just my opinion)
1 Cup heavy cream, whipped (mmmmm heavy cream)
Berry Sauce - See Recipe Below

Cool (wait a minute) O.K. this is another one of my mom's recipes
( I am truly surprised anything she ever made turned out.) I am deciphering again.

I am sure this should say :
Boil rice in salted water until tender and fluffy. (You can try to cool the rice in salted water until tender and fluffy if you want, but I don't believe it will work.)
Blend in sugar, honey and almond. Chill (here's where the cooling part comes in)

Fold in whipped cream. Serve with Rasberry Sauce.

Serves 6

Raspberry Sauce: ( O.K. let's see what this part says, you know I am actually holding my breath.)

1 TBS. cornstarch
1/2 Cups sugar
1/4 Cup water
2 Cups raspberries, I always use frozen raspberries for this recipe. Just drain them as well as you can. Then press them with a paper towel until you have gotten most of the juices out. ( Hey, this sounds like Papa's sinus surgery! Maybe I should just do it at home.)

1 TBS. Lemon juice

Mix cornstarch and sugar. Add cold water and stir until smooth. Add the raspberries and lemon juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer 5 minutes. Chill . Top each serving of rice with Raspberry Sauce.

This does look festive in pretty glass goblets or dessert dishes. It is also really yummy as I said earlier, or it wouldn't get posted. I never post unless it gets the thumbs up from my family. This one has been around in our family for years.

You all have a wonderful day!!

"Hey papa I have an idea, go get me some paper towels. Then lay down on the bed --- don't ask questions I have to get to JoAnnes!"

P.S. I made this for dessert on New Years Day 2009. I doubled the whip cream and I liked it better. (of course that's why I'm fat)

2 comments:

Buttercream Cottage said...

This does sound yummy. Poor Papa!

Bennett Bunch said...

JoAnn's was great! We got some really cute paper and a Cricut cartridge for only $22!