When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




December 7, 2008

Spaghetti Sauce

4 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1/2 lb. Italian sausage
1/2 lb. ground beef
1 28 0z. can crushed tomatoes. I like to use a quart of my bottled tomatoes, I just crush them in my food processor. If you do this use 3 cans tomato paste.
2 60z. cans tomato paste
1 1/4 Cups spicy tomato juice
2-4 TBS. sugar ( Start out with 2 and later when you are tasting you might want more.)
1 - 2 teas. salt ( taste it before you add a lot of salt)
1 teas. oregano
1 teas. thyme
1 - 2 teas. crushed basil
1-2 teas. crushed red pepper
1 bay leaf

Saute garlic, onion, Italian sausage, and ground beef in large Pot until well-browned, Drain excess fat. Add all ingredients. Bring sauce to a boil, stirring well. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook about 30 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Serve over hot pasta. Remember to taste as you cook. Do not add too much sugar or salt. Taste it until it suits your buds.

After our meal I will freeze this sauce for later, or I will save it for a couple of days and make Lasagna. I love doing this because you get two good meals with one sauce. I will post my Lasagna recipe soon.

No comments: