When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




December 28, 2008

True Happiness


This was on our announcements at Sacrament Meeting today. I thought I would share.
"True happiness comes only by making others happy - the practical application of the Savior's doctrine of losing one's life to gain it. In short, the Christmas spirit is the Christ spirit, that makes our hearts glow in brotherly love and friendship and prompts us to kind deeds of service.
It is the spirit of the gospel of Jesus Christ, obedience to which will bring' peace on earth', because it means - good will toward all men.
Giving, not getting brings to full bloom the Christmas spirit. Enemies are forgiven, friends remembered, and God obeyed. The spirit of Christmas illuminates the picture window of the soul, and we look out upon the world's busy life and become more interested in people than things. To catch the real meaning of the "spirit of Christmas, "we need only drop the last syllable, and it becomes the "Spirit of Christ."
President David O. McKay, Gospel Ideals (1953) as quoted in the December 2008 Ensign
I got to thinking the other day about how much I enjoy blogging. To be truthful I did not think I would grow to appreciate it. I thought I would feel about it like I do scrap booking, ( i enjoy when my girls are with me) or skiing. ( i enjoy it when i am not falling down)
I enjoy meeting new people every day and, starting relationships with people I do not even know. I like hearing the happy things that are going on in your lives and, being able to talk to those who are dealing with adversity. I am usually no help to the latter.
I have been helped though by kind people who have never met me. That shows me there is so much good in this world.
The thing I wonder though is in so to speak "real life" would we like each other. Would we be kind to those who believe differently than we do. Would we look down on others, social status in the community. Would some of us think others are too snooty to be around. You get the idea.
I would hope we could all still be friends. That would be a good beginning to 'peace on earth' don't you think.
P.S. I'm sorry about the spacing. I could not fix it.

5 comments:

Becky said...

I totally agree with "the spirit of Christ".

Great thought:)

tara @ kidz said...

Love the quote.

Hmmmm I don't know if in 'real life' if we could be friends. After all, you don't like scrapbooking!?!?!? I'm baffled. Well we may not be able to friends, but I love ya afterall! And I'm glad you turned out to like this blogging thing I roped you into! Truly.

Buttercream Cottage said...

Great post. I can't picture anyone not liking you in real life...you are so upbeat and funny and you can cook!I think you might be right about some people having a problem with being snotty because of income.

Messy Jess said...

You said it all so very well.

Colleen said...

There are many times I have wondered the same thing about being friends with some that I am friends online to. I do know this last year was a rough time for me and some of the best support I got was from my online friends! I love the quote you had...and we really do need to think of it more as the spirit of Christ!