When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




January 12, 2009

Divinity

O.K. Kids, today I made another batch of Divinity. This does not bode well for my diet. Oh well, give the people (all 3 of you) what they want that is my motto.

I first found divinity at a church bazaar when I was around 10. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I asked mom to make us some. When she told me she had tried and failed. I couldn't believe it. Mom could make anything. I knew she couldn't sew. Watching her sew was like watching an episode of "I Love Lucy." Where Lucy sews the sleeve of Ricky's shirt together. My mom actually did that to one of my dads shirts. Dad wanted to donate the shirt to this one armed man at our church but it was the wrong arm and the guy wasn't going to cut off his other arm just so he could have a new shirt. (ungrateful)

I decided to go on a quest of my own and learn how to make this stuff. My first batch was kind of like cement but I MADE IT and that is what counted.
Now I make darn good Divinity!! End of Story.... UmmmHmmmm!!

Here is what you will need:

1/2 Cup hot water
2 1/2 Cups granulated sugar
2/3 Cup light corn syrup
2 egg whites
1/2 t. vanilla
That's it. Not too many ingredients right?

This is what you do:

Put water, sugar, and corn syrup in a large heavy pot. Mix very carefully, trying not to get mixture on sides of pan. After you have mixed it, bring to a boil. DO NOT STIR!!! This will make your candy sugary and you don't want it sugary, you want it to melt in your mouth.



While the mixture is boiling. Immediately start beating egg whites until they are fluffy white and stiff. If you beat them too much they will turn back into mush, too little and the candy won't turn out. Yes you are between a Rock and a Hard spot.


This is what your egg whites should look like. One way to test to see if they are ready is poke your finger in them. (after you turn off the beater) When you bring your finger out a little peak should be poking out of the mixture. Do not turn the beater off when beating the egg whites. If they are ready and the candy mixture is not ready to be mixed in yet just turn the speed of the beater down.
O.k. Here comes the next part. I do not like candy thermometers when I make Divinity. I think a thermometer just gets in the way. I mean you are beating egg whites and boiling goop. I don't want to have to sit and watch a thermometer. I do what my Nana taught me.

I get a little bowl of ice water and set it next to my boiling goop on the counter.

I then get a spoonful of goop and put it in the ice water. Why do I do this? I don't know.

No, I do this to see what stage of candy the goop is in.
There is the soft ball stage
The medium ball stage and last but not least.
The hard ball stage.
What I am interested in getting at this moment is a soft ball stage.
When I put the boiling goop in the ice water I want to be able to take my fingers and make a soft little ball with it.
I had no one here to help me take pictures so I hope you can understand what the heck I am saying. When I can do that I turn the beater to a low setting, take boiling goop and pour 2/3 of it in the egg mixture , like so. Of course you want to make sure that the beater is on a low speed. You do not want this splattering all over the kitchen.
For one thing it is boiling Hot Hot Hot. It burns like H, E, double toothpicks.

As soon as you have poured 2/3 of mixture in with egg whites and it has mixed together well enough. Turn the beater on it's highest speed. DO NOT scrape down the sides of the bowl. This again will make your candy sugary. Just let it go. I know it seems wasteful but it would be more wasteful to waste all of the candy. DO NOT turn off beater, just let it keep on keepin on.

Take the rest of the goop and put it back on the heat. You want the 1/3 that is left to get to the hard ball stage.


See how it is boiling again here. Take another spoonful of the boiling goop and set it in the ice water. If it immedietly turns hard like in the picture below, you are at the hard ball stage. That stuff is as hard as a rock!
Turn the beater down to a low speed again and add the rest of the boiling goop to the other goop you have been mixing with the beater. (I'm mentally exhausted)
Again be sure it does not splatter anywhere. This stuff now is like Hot Hot Hot CEMENT!
When you get that last 1/3 mixed into the mixture, turn the beater back on the highest speed again.
Now you just keep beating the mixture until it gets to the desired consistency. Then you just spoon it onto wax paper. This will Burn the finger you use to get it off the spoon with. You can use two spoons one to spoon with and one to get the candy off of the spoon you have used to spoon with, but I think two spoons to spoon with is one spoon to many. ( i use my finger) Got all that?
Today my mixture was too hard I let it beat too long.I turn the beater off to check the consistency of the candy 1,2, 3, maybe 4 times.
I like the consistency to be soft to the point that at first it doesn't set up all the way. The pictures at the top of these so called instructions is what you want the candy to look like. I would take a picture of my hard ones from today except someone ate them. (stupid dog)
Making Divinity comes down to timing. I had to practice a lot to get it down right.
I think you must have a real love for the stuff or like anything else you just won't do it.
It's not hard!
It's timing and being able to work fast.
It's learning what the consistency you like and appreciate is. When it is made right it melts in your mouth.
I can't think of anything else to add. If you have questions ask me. I won't answer you, but you can ask.
I am going now. I feel like spooning! "C mon Papa we're gonna spoon and SPOON only!!"



10 comments:

Buttercream Cottage said...

Yikes! No wonder you did not post the recipe. It sounds hard but I guess once you do it and get it down it's easier.

nikkicrumpet said...

SO MUCH WORK!! My mom always made it around Christmas time...I didn't realize how hard it was.

Emma said...

I looooove divinity but agree it is way hard!!! Also for any one in the midwest they do not work in the summer you can only make them in the winter! So sad!!! That means when I come in the summer I want some!!!

Melissa/McRae said...

Oh my gosh!!!I'm laughing so hard about the one armed man commentary! I had to share it with Richard too! Man, I'll have to come back to that for a good laugh tomorrow!

Love it:)
McRae

tara @ kidz said...

I too enjoyed the one-armed man comment. AND I also think divinity looks really hard. Good thing my MIL makes some, so I don't have to!

Cynthia said...

I've always been too intimidated by it to try it. The little tips in your instructions have me contemplating it. I MIGHT be able to do it. I have made suckers and stuff like that before. Hmmmm.

tammy said...

I haven't had divinity in forever!

Martha said...

Holy Guacamole, this is amazing!! Looks delicious!

Grand Pooba said...

Oh my gosh, I love your instructions! And you did a great job with the pictures by yourself I'm impressed!

I've never had divinity! And I think you are an amazing person for doing all that soft ball hard ball beating not too much but not too little. Geeze woman!

And the nerve of the one armed man, so ungrateful!

Emma said...

Your comment on Brian's Blog made me laugh out loud!!!! Boy the memories my children will have of Grandma!!!