When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




January 19, 2009

Nana's Rice Pudding




This is my Nana's recipe and it is soooooo yummy. I didn't appreciate it when I was a kid but now that I am all growed up I love it!!!

I have to thank my mom for making this. Yesterday morning she came over to bargain with me. At first I thought any bargain she was going to offer I probably wasn't interested in. Her shirt was buttoned wrong so I really didn't know what kind of mind frame I would be dealing with.

Mom told me if I would feed her and dad some of my Pizza in A Pot ( I know,
and yes it is fab!!! Plus it is a Crock Pot Meal, I'll get it to you later. It is my dad's fav, a fab fav
you can't beat that with a stick.)

Anyway, I said "Let's Make A Deal!"

I was sorry later when I had to sit down at dinner and have a conversation with the woman. (Now don't get all up in my face!! You don't know what I deal with.)

She came over to tell me that my long lost cousin spoke in Sunday School.

Mom: You know Pinnock, what was his first name?

Me: Well, I don't know..... give me a minute.

Mom: HE'S YOUR long lost cousin!

Me: O.K. but he was your long lost cousin FIRST! ......... Hugh, his name was Hugh.

Mom: (Scrunched up face.) PHIPPEN!

Me: Okey Dokey you said, Pinnock.

Mom: I meant Phippen. Then she tells story, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, etc.

Me: That was great.

Mom: Then President Stanley spoke and asked Pete a question.

Me: Pres. Stanley spoke in Sunday School??

Mom: No, BISHOP Stanley.

Me: Mmmmm. Hmmmm. ( We have never had a Bishop Stanley. We have however had a Pres. Stanley.) Could you mean Bishop Olsen? ( His first name is Stanley)

Mom: YES, WHAT DID I SAY? ( She's all snippy now.) We eventually got her story all straightened out, only to move on to another person with the wrong name and we were talking in circles again.

Me: O.K. mom ...... you can't get mad at us when we don't know what the H, E, double toothpicks ( only I said hell ) you are talking about because you put us on this jet packed roller coaster ride every time you open your mouth.

Mom: Laughing now, ..... OH, Laws. (What the H, E, double toothpicks does that mean?)

Here's your recipe:

Ingredients: (Remember this is mom's recipe so I have to go get my deciphering hat on.) O.K.

1/2 Cup rice (not instant)
1/2 teas. salt
1 qt. whole milk or 2 Cups milk + 2 Cups 1/2 & 1/2
1 Cup sugar
1/4 Raisins ( I could personally do w/o the raisins, but that's just me.)
10 -12 eggs ( 12 eggs, WOW!) + 1 TBS. vanilla

1. Add salt to rice and boil, following pkg. directions
2. Heat milk , DO NOT BOIL
3. Add 1 Cup sugar, cooked rice and raisins to heated milk
4.Beat eggs until fluffy and light yellow
5. Touch your tongue to your nose
6. Say inky dinky parlay voo
7. Add 1/2 Cup of heated milk mixture to beaten eggs, stir well.
8. Add rest of eggs to heated milk mixture, add vanilla and mix well
9.Pour mixture into 5 qt. oven proof casserole bowl.
10. Place bowl inot a shalow pan of water, a cookie sheet will do just fine
11. Bake until you can stick a knife in the edge of the bowl and it comes out clean.
12. Let stand for 15 more minutes to cool down.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 - 60 minutes

This will be custard like on the top. The rice and raisins go to the bottom. If you take it out of the oven and the middle is still really jiggly and the sides are not really brown, leave it in the oven a little longer.

This is not a really sweet rice pudding. It's sweet don't get me wrong just not really sweet. I don't know what I am saying. I hope you understand. OH, Laws....



12 comments:

JANE said...

You know you always crack me up and you really said the H word to your Mom, LOL!!!!
Hubby likes rice pudding, never been a big fan though!

tara @ kidz said...

WTH??? You're nuts Nana! And I'm nuts for rice pudding. I love it with raspberry sauce drizzled on it. Mmmmmm! =)

The Wife O Riley said...

Mmmmm.... I adore rice pudding!! (I don't like raisins in it either)

I will definitely be making this one!

Sounds like a conversation with my mom.

3 Bay B Chicks said...

You made my day yesterday, Nana, with your comment. How hip and computer savvy are you? My Mom hardly knows how to navigate to our blog to read what I post. I can't tell you the number of times that I have sent her the link and asked, "did you read what I wrote?"

And here you are, blogging, posting, doin' your thing in the blogosphere. I love it!

You rock, Nana!

-Francesca

Keri said...

Nana's rock! You wanna know how I know that? Cause I have one of my own and she always gives me the recipe hook-ups. Boy, wait until I tell her about this blog... Awesome!

Cynthia said...

I don't think I've ever had rice pudding. And I won't get on you at all for gettin annoyed with Nana. My Grandma had Alzheimer's and it's not the way I want to go.

I thought for sure my Mom and her 3 sisters' relationships would be utterly destroyed before she finally passed away. It was really hard for them all- each wanting to do what was best for her and each one having a different opinion about it.

Debbie said...

Do I know your mom? I know I have had conversations just like that.

ann said...

YOU ARE SUCH A HOOT.I LOVE RICE PUDDING WITH RAISINS.THANK YOU DEAR LADY FOR ALL THE NICE THINGS YOU SAID.I WOULD BE HARD TO EVER--------------BE IN A BAD MOOD AROUND YOU AND TARA...LOVE YA...ANN...OH,AND I AM A NANNA TOO.I SPELL IT WITH 2 N'S .WHY,I HAVE NO IDEA.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Creative Mish said...

YUM it looks fabulous! and I like it with raisins

nikkicrumpet said...

LOL only you could make a recipe post funny!!!

Hello Mary Lou said...

LOL... sounds good. You can use mandarine oranges instead of raisins.

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

This post made me laugh so hard I almost wet myself. (I'm old) And the conversation? Just like the kind I have with my mother.

Love rice pudding. And thank you for taking the bullet so we could all enjoy the recipe. :)