When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




January 25, 2009

Yellowstone In Winter

Yellowstone is one of my favorite places in the world. I love the scenery, the smells, the animals. Last January Oby and Tara invited us to go up with them for a visit. We got to see it up close and personal in the dead of winter. Look how deep the snow is. That is not an optical illusion. It was almost to the roof tops.

These are pictures of the cabins where we were staying. Tara's brother and sister in law own the Hibernation Station in West Yellowstone. Well Tara's sister in law's dad owns it. They run the place and were kind enough to extend an invitation to stay for a few days.



Yep, it's the Hibernation Station.



The wildlife is spectacular there. We went again this past summer and didn't see near as many animals. These swan actually winter in Yellowstone because it's nice and balmy compared to where they come from further up north.




The Bison love the hot pools. They stay nice and toasty hanging around that hot water. Yes those lumpy things in the steam are Bison.




Here we are at Old Faithful. This is my mom and dad with Oby. Dad is in a wheelchair that is equipped with ski's on the front. Pretty nifty huh? I'm really glad we were able to take mom and dad with us. Dad doesn't do trips anymore. I'm thankful he got the opportunity to see the sights in the winter.

It was snowing really hard. Seeing Old faithful blow in a snow storm was really something. Unfortunately my camera didn't pick up the splendor of the event. The picture just looks like a white blur so I didn't bother posting it.






Here's Oby and Papa. We were freezing our butts off. Mom warmed up a few minutes later when she fell down in the parking lot of the Visitor Center and could not get up, she had worked up a good sweat rolling around in the ice before some man came along and hoisted her up. We had no idea, she said she was going to the restroom, that's all we knew. Mom took every opportunity she could to fall in the snow, she is such a show off. We should have strapped her to dads wheel chair.


This old guy, I think it's a guy. I didn't want to check! Anyway he was just trying to keep warm.


More Bison hanging out at the hot pools.

I just thought that was pretty.




We wanted to have our picture taken with the Bison. This is as close as I wanted to get. Those things are mean. Well those are a few pictures of our trip. I was feeling a little nostalgic today so I thought I would share. I hope you like it. If you ever get the chance to go to Yellowstone in the winter, by all means go. We saw the sights, snowmobiled, with mom and dad hanging on for dear life I might add. We laid around and ate and laughed. We just had fun!!!!!


18 comments:

The Wife O Riley said...

Those pictures are gorgeous!!! That is definitely one place I would love to go.

tara @ kidz said...

Oh now I'm feeling all warm/fuzzy and nostalgic! What a fun trip and I too am glad Grandpa Phil got to go. What a memory.

Hello Mary Lou said...

Beautiful! That must have been a great time.

tara @ kidz said...

I added the pic of Grandpa in his wheelchair and you and Mike pushing him uphill. It's too classic not to share.

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Wow, what great pictures! Looks like such a wonderful trip. And is it wrong that I laughed about Mom rolling around on the ice?

Thanks for commenting on my blog. You made me laugh.

Sharlene said...

I am dying to go to Yellowstone. It looks amazing. Thank you for checking out Tuesday's fundraier!

sandy said...

What gorgeous pictures!

Firefly@www.firefly-shop.org said...

Beautiful Pictures :) thanks for stopping by!

www.firefly-shop.org
http://fierflyshop.blogspot.com/

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Awesome. We have to get out there and look around. My great great grandfather homesteaded out there. I want to find the site. It is listed as a historical landmark.
I love your blog. I hope you don't mind I'm adding it to my favorites. Terrie

nikkicrumpet said...

I love Yellowstone...but I think I'll stick to visiting in the summer. Although I enjoyed your beautiful pictures....It just chilled me to the bone just thinking about it!!!

Debbie said...

You guys look cold but happy! What gorgeous photos.

3 Bay B Chicks said...

Such amazing photos, Nana. Thanks for sharing. My favorite was definitely the one of the swans swimming admist the snow. Lovely!

Looks like you had an absolutely wonderful time.

-Francesca

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

I've strolled over from Nikki Crumpets. What an adventure! You all looked soooo cold! I've never been to Yellowstone, but my hubby went several years ago and has wanted to take me ever since.
My son would enjoy your crock pot sauce on noodles or straight up with just the garlic toast to dip in!

Sweet Wishes,
Sara

The Wife O Riley said...

I have an award for you!

Cascia said...

Beautiful photos! It looks like you had a lot of fun. I love the photo of the Bison.

Creative Mish said...

I've never been there in the winter. It looks beautiful!

merlyn9 said...

Loved your story & images.
We were there right after you, from 01Feb09 - 07Feb09. I'm still working on my part 1 blog with images... Been there many times in the fall. This was our 1st winter visit... I think we'll be back with the Snow again.

Only 6.5 grandchildren though hu???

星爺Frank said...

That's actually really cool!亂倫,戀愛ING,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,成人短片,美女交友,美女遊戲,18禁,
三級片,後宮電影院,85cc,免費影片,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,日本a片,美女,成人圖片區,avdvd,色情遊戲,情色貼圖,女優,偷拍,情色視訊,愛情小說,85cc成人片,成人貼圖站,成人論壇,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,免費a片,視訊美女,視訊做愛,免費視訊,伊莉討論區,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,維克斯論壇,情色論壇,性感影片,正妹,走光,色遊戲,情色自拍,kk俱樂部,好玩遊戲,免費遊戲,貼圖區,好玩遊戲區,中部人聊天室,情色視訊聊天室,聊天室ut,成人遊戲,免費成人影片,成人光碟,情色遊戲,情色a片,情色網,成人圖片區