When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




January 2, 2009

Yogurt Parmesan Baked Chicken

This chicken is so moist and yummy I couldn't keep em away so I could take a picture.
I love my Dutch oven!!!!!!!!!!!!




Of course I am going to say this is yummy wonderful because IT is! People will always ask me for the recipe.

Ingredients:

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, or skinned bone in breasts
1 8 0z. plain yogurt
1 Cups crushed Ritz crackers
3 TBS. grated Parmesan cheese
1 TBS. garlic salt
4 TBS. melted (real) butter (opposed to melted fake butter)
Season with salt and pepper

In a large bowl or pie tin, mix the crackers, Parmesan cheese, and garlic salt. Set aside.

Spread yogurt over each breast, not your breasts the chicken breasts. ( I tried it the other way once, while it felt very nice, it was quite messy. My breasts however, were silky smooth.)

Then roll each breast in cracker mixture. ( Don't try that on yourself, that's all I'm gonna say.)


Arrange breasts in buttered baking dish. I use a 9 x 13" pan. Drizzle melted butter over breasts, sometimes ( Well I will be honest.) All the time I use twice as much butter as the recipe calls for.
(That's why I'm fat.)

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 - 55 min. Until tender. I like to cover the chicken with foil, or sometimes I use my Dutch Oven Pan and cover with the lid. I do this until they are half way done, then take the foil or lid (whatever) off and let the breasts get a little crispy on top.

I have to say if you have never cooked with a Dutch Oven try it. I love Dutch Ovens. We have the big cast iron ones we take camping and use them all the time. I also have a real nice ceramic covered cast iron Dutch oven. I only use this one at home, no camping trips for that one.
Now there are aluminum Dutch ovens that are available. These are a lot lighter than the cast iron ones. They also cook a lot faster.

Papa refuses to use the aluminum ones. He is old school, emphasis on old. One of my camping buddies I'll call her Annette (because that's her name) only uses aluminum these days. They are really so much lighter and easier to carry.

Cast iron Dutch ovens should never, ever, ever, ever, ever be washed with soap.
Only water. Then wiped out with a paper towel or cloth. You can scrub them with a plastic scrubby thing (yes that is their offficial name) while cleaning with water but no soap. Some people don't even us water.

Cast iron Dutch ovens season themselves over the years and if you use soap you get rid of that seasoning, which really does make things taste good.

Aluminum can be washe with soap. Ceramic should be washed with soap.

In fact if any of you have cast iron pans that you use at home, do not wash them with soap. If you don't believe me,ask Martha Stewart. Many of you probably already know what I am talking about so forgive my rambling on.

Cast iron should always be seasoned before you use it. If anyone is interested in how you do that just ask me and I will tell you how to do it, or you can give Martha a call at 555-555-5555 I'm sure she would love to help you out.

That is the end of my discourse on Dutch ovens. Amen.




4 comments:

AndreaLeigh said...

the pioneer has something similar on her site, but with panko instead of ritz. i've got to try this... i think i have all the ingredients!

CC said...

I'd love to have a Dutch Oven but they seem to be so expensive!

The Veale's said...

I have to tell you...you are almost as funny as the pioneer women. Do you ever look at her posts. If not; you should. Tammy (I mean Nana) thanks for the laugh. Not your real breast and no soap in the dutch oven.

tara @ kidz said...

Nana how have you not made this for me?!?! It looks divine! I suppose I should try making it for your son one of these days. Or maybe not.