When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




February 18, 2009

No Bake Drop Cookies


First I must say we call these Dump Cookies. We spent countless hours brainstorming to come up with a more exciting name for these little nuggets of joy. Some of the names just didn't seem quite right such as:


Cow Chip Chewies

Diarrhea Ding Dongs

Prairie Plops

Cling On Tag a Longs

Last Night's Stew

We decided the above mentioned names were just too highfalutin so we settled on Dump Cookies. I'm sure 98% of you already have this recipe but I decided what the heck I was going to give it to you anyway.
We make these when we just need a sugar/chocolate fix. They are quick, easy and even have oatmeal in them.

Some people like to ruin them by adding peanut butter. I say pish posh to that! I will include the peanut butter in the recipe anyway. I am not a hater. I love PB, just not in these.
Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1/4 Cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 Cup milk
1/2 Cup butter
1 TBS. light corn syrup
1/4 Cup peanut butter (Ack!)
2 Cups quick cooking rolled oats ( I use regular too, whatever. I also put 3 to 4 cups of oatmeal in them, so the mixture is thicker.)
In heavy saucepan, stir together sugar and cocoa powder., stir in milk. Add butter and corn syrup, bring to boiling, stirring occasionally. Boil vigorously for 3 minutes. Stir in peanut butter, then rolled oats.
Return mixture to boiling. Remove from heat, beat till slightly thickened. Immediately drop from a teaspoon onto waxed paper. (If mixture spreads too much beat a little longer. I think this is why I use more oatmeal than the recipe calls for.)
I also like these best when they get a sugary texture. Some people like them chewie, but all the peeps I know like them sugary.

Enjoy!
Go Visit Kidz
There's big doings going on over there!!!!

19 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I like these in theory, but when I have them, they are usually all hard and crumbly.

Pineapple Hill said...

We love those too! My recipe is from my grandma. Hers have coconut and raisens in them. My kids renamed them Cat Poop Cookies. They are so yummy! I always add more peanutbutter. Seems to help Kristina.

Amanda said...

You know I've never made any no bake cookies before but these sound pretty good, I think I'll have to try them.

I love all the alternate names, they're very evocative!

Jennifer said...

Oh wow! These are a staple in my home and have been since I was a little girl. My Dad had a huge sweet tooth (Which was passed on to me) and we would make these and "pig out" on them. We call them Fudge Oatmeal Cookies. But others I've heard call them Sputniks. I don't get it though. I made a batch last week and was having a really bad day. The 3 year old was into everything and driving me nuts. I was relishing the temporary quiet in the house when I realized it was quiet. So, went in search of 3 year old only to find him under the dining room table with an empty bucket of what used to be a new batch of these. So, I had to make another...
Kristina, if they are hard and crumbly you are boiling them too long. This is actually a candy and not a cookie. They are to be boiled to the soft ball stage. If you have a candy thermometer you should get it to 240 degrees farenheit, then immediately remove from the heat and add your other ingredients.
Thanks for a great post - these are outstanding.

My New 30 said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. I am loving your's for sure. Your profile just killed me LOL!!! And that 2/16 post ... I haven't smiled this big all week. Thanks for the laughs!!

Jamie said...

Yummy, love those no bake cookies! Save some for me?

Jamie :-)

tara @ kidz said...

I lived on these my 1st year of college. I also gained 15 pounds that year. Hmmm.....

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

These are some of my favorite cookies. Love that cocoa taste. And I'm totally going to start calling them "Last Night's Stew"!!

Debbie said...

I need to make these. They are some of my favorites.

Kathy B! said...

I love these! These are some of my favorites! We never had a name for them but, well, dump cookies might just be perfect!!

Sparcam said...

I must stew for a moment on a creative name...maybe I will make some while I think about it!

Peace L♥ve Applesauce said...

Oh, I LOVE THESE!
I think I may make some tonight. :)

Peace L♥ve Applesauce said...

Oh, I LOVE THESE!
I think I may make some tonight. :)

JANE said...

Oh yeah, we call them chocolate doo-doo cookies around these here parts! In fact my oldest and youngest made a batch last night!
They're great for breakfast!!

Jenners said...

Well, with a name like that, they've got to be good!

The Wife O Riley said...

Mmmm...Yummy!

I tagged you for a purse tag, come on over and check it out.

Yaya said...

Yum!

Megan said...

I LOVE these cookies! Some of my favorites. Hubby is so damn picky that he doesn't like them. Crazy man! I like them with or w/o PB.

Jessica said...

Yum, these are some of my favorites. We call them top of the stove cookies here. Ours have peanut butter instead of corn syrup, though, and I'm not sure about the milk. Now I need to get this recipe from my mom.