When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




February 12, 2009

Spinocerebellar ataxia

See I do know some big words. Wish I didn't know this one.



I decided to let you have a glimpse into my personal life for a minute.

Spinocerebellar ataxia is one of a group of genetic disorders characterized by slowly progressive incoordination of gait, of hands, of speech, and eye movements.



Frequently, atrophy of the cerebellum occurs, and different ataxias are known to affect different regions within the cerebellum.



The little pink spot there in the picture.



Someone with ataxi will then have a clumsy motion to the body, along with muscle movement etc.



So in other words your Cerebellar starts to shrink you get legions in your brain and down your spine. That affects your ability to function and you are screwed.



This is what my dad has, it is why he is practically in a wheelchair full time. He is losing control of his body. Eventually he won't even be able to swallow. Fun right?



Well he has some of the best Dr.'s in the world helping him up at the University of Utah Hospital.

There is no cure for this disease, but they can hopefully learn from people like dad and find a cure.



Incidentally there are many people who think they have M.S. that do not. They have SCA. Not many Dr.'s know what it is or how to treat it.



Here is where I come in . There is a new Dr. in town one of those that know and research this disease. He wanted to see me because I have Migraines and that can be a symptom that intertwines with SCA



If you have Migraines don't freak unless your dad has SCA. Which I doubt he does.









I went to see Dr. Pulst yesterday. He did all sorts of funny coordination tests on me. Which I passed with flying colors until it got to the walking in circles test. Yes he had me walk in circles. This is something I cannot do. In a very short , let's say by circle 3 I am done for and ready to fall down.



Hmmm. He says " This is not normal." Sheeeesh just when I thought I was going to get out of there thinking I don't have this crummy crap.



He ordered an MRI


I went this morning. Nice little machine isn't it. I especially like the cage they put over your face just before they shove you into that tight hole and tell you not to move. I said "Don't I get some Fava beans and a nice Chianti first?" (thanks Sera, she told me how to spell Chianti) Anyway the tech did not find me amusing.

The MRI wasn't bad and the results are already in....


Well, this could be a problem. It explains a lot, and yes I am that ugly without makeup.
Tomorrow I will be going in for some balance testing. I went to Dillard's to get me a cute outfit for the occasion




I think these shoes will especially help. From what I understand I will be spinning around on some type of chair. You know, I pay good money to puke while spinning around on the rides at Lagoon. I don't know what good this will do. They will put me on some type of moving platform, which with my cat like reflexes I am not worried.



I don't know if there will be a balance beam or not. I may not do so well on the balance beam especially if I have been spinning around first. I hear after the spinning we will all participate in a mean game of darts.






Sounds great!!
I will keep you posted on what I find out. Hopefully I am just a clutz with migraine problems.





30 comments:

Debbie said...

You will keep us updated, won't you?

Susy said...

Very funny, however I hope it is nothing serious! And that you really are just a clutz!

nikkicrumpet said...

You amaze me that you can take something scary and serious and make it funny. I hope you find out soon that you are just a graceless clod lol

Kristina P. said...

I hope everything is OK!

Emma said...

We have always known you were a clutz with migraines now you just have a dr. to confirm!!! We wish you the best of luck and you are in our prayers!!!!! I complained about migraines and all they did was give me $120 pills. That is not for a month that is for 1. So needless to say I just deal with my migraines and hope the excedrin will take the edge off!!

Mama Wheaton said...

I hope everything is ok and please keep us posted.

tara @ kidz said...

Nana, I didn't know you had an MRI today! I'm anxious to chat more tonight over dinner and during our class. Yes, we'll talk during class. I just want to see that guy give ME that look and say, "Ladies...." Oh, I just can't wait to give it to him right back! ;o)

Seriously, Nana, we hope you are only clumsy. Very seriously.

Amanda said...

I'm with Tara on this and hope that you're only clumsy! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers all day tomorrow!

Eileen said...

Oh, I certainly hope it's all o.k. If it's any consolation, I would have a hard time with the walking-in-circles test too.

My blog posts have become infrequent because we're dealing with some health issues too. Not the MRI kind but the weekly blood work and shots every Friday kind. It's tough on a 3 year-old and tough on a mom to a 3 year-old.

Let's hope we both get great results soon!

Pineapple Hill said...

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow in your cute outfit. I love your sense of humor girl! I'm glad you shared this so I can have a prayer in my heart for you and a giggle too.
hugs!

The Wife O Riley said...

Will they let you try to pin the tail on the donkey after they spin you?

Seriously, please keep us posted!

Sera said...

I got hung up on the Hannibal Lecter reference! You crack me up...and btw it is spelled Chianti; love the phonetic spelling though. You will definitely be in my thoughts tomorrow!

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Nana please keep us up to date as soon as you find out more.

I think it must be in the job description for them to not get our humor, I had the same thing.

Hugs :)

Kathy B! said...

I followed you back from your comment on my blog... Thanks for visiting. And thank you for sharing your very personal struggle with this disease. I'm so sorry for the stress and pain you're going through. Stay strong for your father.

Mimi Sue said...

I used to work at the U in the Neurology Dept. But at the epilepsy clinic which is in a different building. Anyway, I always say the longer you live the better off you are because every single day they figure out how to cure more things. You are definitely going to one of the best neuromuscular places in the US. Do you think they have another one of those outfits in my size? Mimi

Sparcam said...

Wow. I am particularly interested because there is an MS diagnosis in my family. Will you do me a favor? After your tests (or tomorrow when you can swing it)write something long enough to move the picture of the salmon off of the display? I like to eat it but hate to look at it! I swear it winked at me! I just hate that feeling of "throwing up a little" when I blog-stalk you! Hang in there. Humor is a great thing and I am all for it. Keep it coming. Can I borrow those wrestling shoes when you get done with them?

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Good luck with the testing, Nana. I think the outfit is just a little too "hot" for medicine, but you know best... :)

Yaya said...

I am so sorry for your father's condition and I am sending positive vibes your way that all your tests come back normal.

JANE said...

You are the only one I know that could make this post funny. I would be puking with ya girl! Let us know when you know! Prayers!

Carole said...

Clutz W/ Migraines is my vote too!!! Lots of prayers going your way lady!

carole
xoxo

Jenners said...

I'm hoping you are just a klutz with migraines. Hoping all went well.

Messy Jess said...

I have really missed getting a daily dose of your humor - hope all goes well. Jess

ann said...

WELL I DIDN'T SEE YOU MENTION IT.aRE YOU OK>dO YOU KNOW ANYTHING YET?...aNN

Lisa Loo said...

Only here would I expect to see the sentence--hope you are just a clutz!! Oh Nana--I hope all will be well.

Lisa Loo said...

Oh--and about that special outfit--I am confused--do you wear that while throwing up or throwing darts?!

Anonymous said...

I must point out, appreciate your discussing this kind of beneficial article. We have learned a lot. Many thanks

Anonymous said...

Many thanks. Nice article. Has been searching for time. Hoping for many more blogs and forums on your part in the future.

Anonymous said...

This is plenty of excellent stuff. I found lots of things which I've been trying to find.

Anonymous said...

I truly enjoyed reading this information. You have discussed a few critical points on this site

Anonymous said...

Appreciate your revealing the knowledge about this field.