When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




March 4, 2009

Tortellini With Bacon Parmesan Cheese Sauce


I decided talking about the Bachelor anymore would just be a big waste of time. Instead I believe a great recipe is in order.


This is a recipe that I tweaked until I got it just how I liked it and I must say everyone else likes it too.


This is a very filling dish, so all you need to go with it is a nice green salad.


Ingredients:


2 lbs. fresh cheese tortellini ( Sold in the refrigerated case at the supermarket.)

1 TBS. olive oil

1 Pkg. bacon ( the original recipe says 4 slices, yeah right) fried until crispy and crumbled into small pieces.

6 shallots, minced

6 garlic cloves, minced

2 teas. thyme

1/4 cup flour

1 cup water, or dry white wine

2 cups chicken broth

1 cup 1/2 and 1/2

1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1 cup frozen peas (optional)


Bring 6 quarts water to a boil in a large pot. When the water is boiling, stir in 2 teas. salt and the tortellini and cook, stirring often, until the tortellini is tender. About 10 -12 minutes.


Drain the tortellini . Put in a large Bowl and toss with olive oil. Set aside.


Cook the bacon in skillet until nice and crisp. Set aside on a paper towel to drain.


In same pan stir in shallots and cook until softened, about 5 min.. Stir in garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds. You don' t want to over cook the garlic. Stir in the flour and cook until golden, about 1 minute.


Slowly whisk in the water or wine and cook until almost absorbed, about 30 seconds. Slowly whisk in the broth and cream and bring to a simmer.

Turn off heat and add Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.


Gently stir in peas.


Fold sauce into tortellini and serve.
Your family will love this and believe it or not I took out a zillion calories.





18 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Mmmmm, bacon.

Lisa Loo said...

Just wondering--what is a "feeling" recipe? I'm figuring you either have an accent or you eat it with your fingers. I am so confused.....

Lisa Loo said...

I was just kidding--will you still be my firend??!! PLEASE!!!

Nana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebekah said...

you had me at bacon....yum!

Lisa Loo said...

As soon as I hit post I heard the voice saying--you are way too sarcastic---she will think you are just MEAN! Sorry--I could just imagine you saying (in your favorite dracula cape) This is so very "feeling"--I just vant to suck your blood---it made me giggle--so there you are--it's okay--you can block me from your blog now---

Jamie said...

That looks soooooo good!

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

Oh, Nana - this has my name written ALL OVER IT! A pound of bacon? What's not to like?

Thank you!

(BTW, usually I find music on blogs to be annoying, but I always enjoy yours. Everytime I hear "Sisters" I think of Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye doing that song and it makes me smile.)

Kathy B! said...

BACON!!! Anything with bacon is fab in my book! Of course I'd need an extra pound to make up for all the pieces I "tasted" while I was cooking. I don't have the ingredients to make this tonight, but I'll let you know how much we love it when I do : )

Kelly said...

Super yum-o! I think I'm gonna try this and surprise my family and actually cook tonight. And I love your music, too. I wish I had a whole CD full of songs just like those on your playlist. Some of it makes me think of The Notebook movie, which is one of my all-time favorites.

Cynthia said...

That is naughty-licious! I pretty much love filled pasta in any way, shape or form but with bacon and parm, how could it NOT be awesome!

I'd love to make it but it's so not on my diet so I'll just have to look at it longingly from afar.

hellosweetworld said...

I love pasta, especially tortellini! Yum, yum.

Stopping by from SITS...

wendy said...

Sound yummy, so I will try it. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love meeting new blogger friends. Especially grandma's like me. I have 10 grandkids. You are beautiful.

TMI Tara said...

Looks delish!!!

Alexis AKA MOM said...

did someone say bacon?? Yummmy Nana :)

3 Bay B Chicks said...

Ugh. The Bachelor. Thank you for changing topics from that toxic show to a simply scrumptious dish. I heart tortellini, Nana.

-Francesca

PS: I noticed that I am not included in your list of your family blogs, Nana. An oversight perhaps? You know that I consider you as part of my family.

Mrs. D Lightful said...

Oh my. That looks absolutely to DIE for! I am bookmarking this, looks SO good!

KelleyAnne said...

As my kids would say when they were little. This looks Yummerrific!