When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




April 24, 2009

Cheddar Potato Soup

Posting a soup recipe right now may not be to smart on my part. The weather here where I live changes its mind every half hour, so one day hot next day cold. That's how it goes. I made this soup last week along with my Jiffy Rolls and everyone loved it!!!!!


Ingredients:
1 large onion
3/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup butter
5 cups cubed peeled potatoes
3 cups water
3 cups milk, divided
4 teas. chicken bouillon granules
1/2 teas. salt
1/2 teas. pepper
1/4 cup all purpose flour
5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
1. In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onion and celery in butter for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce hat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
2. Stir in 2 cups milk, bouillon, salt and pepper. Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth, gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cheese and bacon, stir until cheese is melted.
This soup will serve around 10 people.
It is great on a cold rainy/snowy day!



17 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Those rolls look to die for!

Midwest Mommy said...

My mouth just started watering!

Rachel said...

Your soup looks delicious! I've been looking for a good potato soup recipe!

Lisa Loo said...

holy I want to win a month of meals cooked by Nana--Batman!! This looks so yummy--I can't believe you are so thin with all this good food around--not fair!

Connie said...

Yum! It all looks good! Today is a little colder than yesterday...great soup weather. Let me grab a pencil and jot down your recipe!

Kelly said...

Hey, what about the Jiffy Rolls? As in the Jiffy cornbread?

Deanna said...

That soup sounds awesome! I'd eat soup every meal if I thought Jim would put up with it - summer, fall, winter and spring! I LOVE soup!

Andrea said...

Looks yummy. :)

The Wife O Riley said...

You need to create a cookbook and then sell it to all of us. You would be a very rich woman!

Cynthia said...

That looks so good! I could not get warm this afternoon. I would have LOVED a big bowl of that with rolls today. Yum!

wendy said...

Mmmmmmm. this is a soup day for sure. have to try it -----or next time you make it, let me know I'LL BE RIGHT OVER. I promise I'll help with the clean up.

Mimi Sue said...

NANA! I'm trying to cut back on the carbs! Oh well, maybe next week...Mimi

Michaela said...

That sounds so delicious!! Stopping by from SITS and wanted to say hi!

Jenni said...

Warm weather or not, that soup looks SOOOO good right now :)

antibloggedy said...

making the bisquits....!!!!

Kathy B! said...

This looks some yummy. and normally I jump right on your recipes... but it has been in the 90's here and I'm too hot for soup (or even to fire-up the stove/oven, for that matter)

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Yummy is all I can say. Oh yeah and wiping up my desk from the drool! :)