When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




April 13, 2009

Lemon Curd Cake...... And Easter Fun


If you are trying to stay away from butter then I suggest you don't look at this recipe!
I make this cake once a year, yes that is how evil it is. I would weigh 500 lbs. if I made it on a regular basis. I can't do that because it's already hard enough maintaining my 300 lbs.
With that said here goes:
Ingredients:
8 ounces sour cream
1/4 Cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1 Cup butter (we are just getting started)
2 Cups sugar
4 eggs
2 3/4 Cups flour
2 teas. baking powder
1/2 teas. salt
1 teas. vanilla extract
Lemon Curd: Lemon curd is so good I just can't stand it!
1 Cup sugar
1/2 Cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
6 egg yolks
4 TBS butter cut into small pieces
Lemon Icing:
2 sticks butter ( 1 Cup )
5 to 6 Cups powdered sugar
1 teas. vanilla extract
1/4 to 1/2 Cups lemon juice, freshly squeezed
Cream or milk to get the consistency you like.
Lemon cake:
In mixing bowl, combine sour cream, lemon juice. Set aside. In large bowl or mixer, cream butter, while gradually adding sugar, beat at medium speed. Add eggs, one at a time. In mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternate with sour cream mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat to blend after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 8 inch round cake pans. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely before icing.
Lemon Curd:
In large mixing bowl, combine sugar, lemon juice, and egg yolks. Whisk to blend. Pour mixture into top of double boiler over simmering water. Heat mixture, whisking continuously, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. ( or your tongue he he ) Remove from heat. Stir in butter, piece by piece, until melted. Cool. Cover with plastic and refrigerate until needed.
Lemon Icing:
In a large mixing bowl beat at medium speed the butter until creamy. Add powdered sugar vanilla, lemon juice and cream. Beat until light and fluffy.
Place one layer on a cake platter. spread with 1/3 lemon curd. Repeat with second layer and then put the last 1/3 of curd on top of cake. Chill, covered with plastic wrap for about an hour.
Then frost.
Yes this cake is worth all the time! Slice it thin because it is so rich that even the hardiest of eaters can't finish a large slice.
Across the street from us there is an empty home for sale. It is next to a very large field my grandsons and niece and nephews like to run around in. The boys spotted all the beautiful flowers , picked them all and brought them to their mothers and father.
I am so glad that house is empty so I don't have to go over there and explain what happened to all of their beautiful flowers.
When they all walked in with their hands full of Daffodils I thought "Oh No!!!" one of my neighbors is going to be really P.O'd.
Here is everyone with their beautiful bouquets.



Jake didn't want his dad to be left out.....



Can you imaging having 5 bouquets of Daffodils ripped out of your yard? Really I can't tell you how relieved I am that place is empty!



This hunk of burning love is single ladies.


And one more time.....


He will probably kill me next time he sees me, but how else is he going to find a nice woman?




Here is everyone getting ready for the Easter egg hunt. Aren't their bags pretty? We got them at Nostrum's.





Henry was not having very good luck.


I caught a few pics of some of the grand kids that still had on their Easter finery.


Miss Chloe.






Mr. Zeke.



Last but not least little Miss Izzy. I hope you all had a great Easter!!!!!
I am very sorry that I can't get the spacing right on my posts.



18 comments:

Kristina P. said...

That cake looks delicious! Looks like a great day!

Susan@The Cozy Chickadee said...

Your grand babies are soo cute!

Small House said...

That spacing thing is a total pain in the neck.

That cake looks so dang good. And totally over my head in the baking world. I just want a piece. Not have to bake it!

Just so you know, your blog is so funny. I just love reading it.
Have a great day.
Sandra

Mrs. Jelly Belly said...

That cake totally looks worth the calories. Totally.

And, really, how nice of you to market your son to the masses in such an attractive way. I'm sure he appreciates it. LOL!

Such cute kids - loved the pictures.

Kelly said...

The Easter baskets y'all used looked amazingly similar to the ones we used. Wow. . . we have the same great taste.

My New 30 said...

Okay, first (cuz you know I am ALL about the food) I ADORE lemon curd - yumyumyum! And that cake just sounds incredible.

Jake's dad (your son?) is a cutie pie - he seems that he'd be a great catch because he has a bit of a sensitive side doesn't he? The kids are totally precious. Looks like it was just about the best Easter ever!

Mimi Sue said...

Too bad all my daughters are taken. He looks like he'd fit right in with our crazy, er eccentric family. I do love lemon curd but I always buy it already made. I'm going to try this cake recipe for sure. Mimi

Amanda said...

Ok,I've just got to tell you this before I go any further; I was about to leave my comment and my 4 year old came up behind me and saw the picture of Jesus and said "That's Josh, that's Josh" meaning Josh Groban (her grandmother is a Josh Groban junky, seriously, and I'm so not kidding about his, he's all she listens too)

Anyway, on to my comment. Wow, that sure looks and sounds like quite a cake...I think I might have to attempt that one of these days. The daffodil bouquets are beautiful when Tara posted about them I was wondering where they were all coming from too!

Glad you had such a happy Easter!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Your cake is just gorgeous...and flowers are for picking..LOL The certainly brightened things up...good for the kiddies!!!
Mona

Grand Pooba said...

Geez, you are trying to kill me! That cake looks too good to pass up. I love the daphodils, perfect for your Easter table. Doesn't matter where they came from :)

Punkn said...

Hi. I scooted over her from The Wife of Riley's blog. Loved the pictures. That cake sounds really yummy!

Yaya said...

My mouth is watering from that cake recipe!

Grandkids=cute as can be, as always!

Alexis AKA MOM said...

That cake looks delish! And the flower are too pretty! I think I have a picture very similar with Rick and a flower ... LOL

Bonnie the Boss said...

Love Lemon Curd! My brother and I concocted a cake with Lemon curd in it New years eve! I am going to have to try yours! It looks like you had a good easter!

Keri said...

Wow! I think you went a little overboard with their Easter bags!
Oh Nana, you crack me up.

Such cute and adorable kiddos!

Kathy B! said...

How did I miss this?! Lemon curd cake... be careful or I'll start yammering about infiltrating your family again.

And the flowers are beautiful :) Don't you just love flowers ripped from your garden?!

For photo spacing, insert the html code
wherever you want a space... if you want three spaces insert it three times... it looks funny typed but when you preview it you can't see it. This helps A LOT when you put photos in :)

ann said...

the kids are so precious.i especially like aekes toes.i could just bite em...ann

Angie said...

That cake looks great. I had the most amazing cake once that was very similar to that cake except it had alternating layers of lemon and raspberry.