When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




August 24, 2009

Broccoli Slaw and Tonio's Birthday

I found this recipe in an old cookbook so we decided to give it a whirl. We means Taylor made it.
I must say it was very tasty!!

Here goes:

2 3oz. packs of ramen noodles, broken
5 cups broccoli florets
1 cup shopped celery
1 medium red onion chopped
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup sald oil
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1/4 cup sunflower nuts

Remove seasoning packets from noodle packages.
Discard or save for later use. In a large bowl, combine uncooked ramen noodles, broccoli, celery and onion.

In a small bowl, whisk or stir together sugar, oil, and vinegar until sugar is dissolved. Pour over broccoli mixture. Cover and refigerate the salad for 12 to 24 hrs, stirring occasionally. Before serving, stir in the almonds and sunflower nuts.
Makes 10 side dish servings.

This salad has a little bit of a sweet taste to it, but when I salt and peppered it I thought that made it perfect.

Now on to Tonio's 9th birthday:

Buddah boy was ready for a party, he is trying to get a clue here.

Chloe was so tickled to be with her Papa last night. She really loved standing up. (I know I don't have my chair rail up yet. I have tons of painting to finish.)


Here is Tonio opening the spiffily wrapped present Papa and I gave him. He also recieved some cash, and a whole bunch of books. Books were the theme last night. He was thrilled.



Chloe was ready for hugging, one of her new things.




She just doesn't get the concept of letting go. Look at Izzy, she looks like she can't breathe.






Zeke says good bye. He had an incident at the pool. The floor was closer than he thought. Poor little nose.
Well that's how we spent our Sunday evening. We had lots of fun.
Happy Birthday Tonio





13 comments:

Kristina P. said...

That recipe sounds good!

Love the diva glasses!

Connie said...

Hey! I use that same wrapping paper! Little Chloe looks like such a happy girl!
Fun Sunday evening activity. We did the same type of thing only the celebrtion was for a person 17 years older than Tonio.
Looks like a good recipe.

Grand Pooba said...

Anything with ramen noodles sounds good to me! Glad to see you helped Taylor out.

Oh, and by the way, did you know your chair rail isn't up?

Kathy B! said...

I LOVE broccoli salad and your recipe looks yummy. You know what would make it better? Crumbled bacon!

And happy, happy birthday to Tonio! He's the same age as my Hannah!! We'll have to get them together someday ; )

Karine said...

This recipe looks delicious! Thanks for sharing! :)

Midwest Mommy said...

How fun- well maybe not the baby hitting his nose :-)

Cynthia said...

Ack! I think this is the recipe my Aunt made at a baby shower. It was SOOOO good!

Good food and good family = good times!

Bonnie the Boss said...

is that little cutie's name really Zeke? Or is it just a blog name. My younger Brother's name is Zeke, that is why I ask.

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Oh how I miss the cartoon wrap, my grandfather use to do this! It was so special, a very fond memory.

What a fun time, love all the pictures :)

kanishk said...

I use that same wrapping paper! Little Chloe looks like such a happy girl!
Fun Sunday evening activity. We did the same type of thing only the celebrtion was for a person 17 years older than Tonio.
Looks like a good recipe.
Web hosting indi

Deanna said...

Happy birthday Tonio!

Books are one of our favorite gifts too.

Chloe cracked me up she is so happy there and that huggy hug - Oh my! Poor Izzy!

Glad Zeke is ok. that looks like a nasty spill he had.

An Accomplished Woman said...

Love your broccoli slaw!!

Cynthia

Valerie said...

The slaw looks really good! I have it on my list to make this week.