When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




August 16, 2009

Lovely Summer (Whatever)

The family recently went to Bear Lake for our annual Bear Lake Fiesta. We have been doing this for around 25 yrs. This is a picture of my mom w/ her friends from left to right Carol, Peggy, Sally and mom.





Peggy owns the joint (Cabin and land, we all crash it and she and her hubby accommodate all of us.





These women have been friends since kindergarten, yes I said kindergarten. Friendships were shaken during the war, some were for the South and others for the North but they came through it and agreed to disagree.





I had the privilege and I use that word loosely of driving ( for 3 solid hrs.) w/ mom and Sally to the lake and back. Here is an example of one of our or I should say their conversations:


Sally: Have you ever bought underpants with a really thick cotton crotch.


Mom: I don't think so, what do you mean?


Sally: Well, I bought a pair that had such a thick cotton crotch that I felt like I had a Kotex between my legs.


Mom: I wish I could have something between my legs.





Me: Gag!!!!!





I will not give any more examples of the things I heard in the Van during those hours of sheer boredom mixed with moments of horror and nausea.



Mom loved the new lounge chair I bought them. That women.... On the way to Bear Lake she lost $500.00 then found it. Lost her debit card, then found it. Longed for the old days when dad could, well , perform and many many other things that have me scared.



Then she sits down and you can see what happened. I have it frame by frame but didn't want to bore you with it. No she can't get up by herself!




Nothing like breakfast at the lake!






No one wanted to play w/ Chloe. That's my SIL saving her from the crowds.





Dad insisted he get a pic of his family. As you can see I am the only girl. (I know I am fat, but look at my ankles.) You may also notice that not one of my brothers is giving the finger.


As other family members moved on to get there family pic dad was yelling " Yeah, that's right just leave the old man sitting here! Someone get me out of the picture..... Hello? What the Hell!?!

It was precious. Oby and Tara are giggling up there on the tractor.

Don't worry we got the old man his wheelchair. (after awhile)



We all shower outside at the lake. That's the way we like it! My camera died so that's about it for my Bear Lake pics.




Other things going on around here besides gardening are story time and....




I hired a painter. (He's not that good, but he works for cookies.)
I have lot's of fun recipe's I can't wait to share. I have missed chatting w/ all of you! Hope to talk tommorow.










16 comments:

Small House said...

I still haven't made it to Bear Lake this year. Which makes me sad, and it looks as though, it's not going to happen. Where is this summer going????? Although, it would have been really nice of you to have picked me up on your way by, and I could have tagged along. Looks like I missed a lot of fun.HAHAHAHAHHA

Have a great day.
Sandra

Deanna said...

What fun memories! Your mom's friend is a saint. I can just hear the conversation in the car on the way. The only thing that could have been better would have been if you daughter had been riding with you.

Andrea said...

Funny stuff. :)

Kristina P. said...

I have missed you! I'm glad you had a good time.

Bonnie the Boss said...

You make me giggle, per usual. Did that conversation really happen? It so sounds like something our family would sit around talking about! It looks like you had fun!

Mimi Sue said...

Looks like lots of fun at Bear Lake. Good thing you're writing down the fun things your mom says. You don't want to forget any of it. Do you? Mimi

Mary said...

Oh my lord, too funny!! I love how the tractor is the center of everything LOL. You're so crazy. In a good way. :)

Connie said...

Hilarious! Your ankles are nice! Looks like everyone had a great time and you were able to get home and finish up a fun project with a cute, affordable, painter!
Have a great day.

Jayne @ Misplaced City Girl said...

I love it when people blog with pictures and words. That last picture of the "painter" is priceless.

~a SITSta

Kathy B! said...

Oh. my. goodness.

That conversation in the car is priceless. I'm glad you didn't do anything rash -- like jump out the window. There are some things parents just shouldn't talk about.

Glad you are well Nana!

Grand Pooba said...

Yay! you're back, bout time! I haven't been to bear lake in forever! Your family is so cute, your mom and her friends are hilarious, now I know where you got your sense of humor.

Although I too would die hearing my mom say she wishes she had something between her legs. lol!

So just so you know that I am not a total flake, I told you I was going to post the yogurt soup recipe and I didn't. Well I had the post ready to go and then I talked to my dad and it turns out it's a "secret" family recipe that cannot be shared with the whole world. So, sadly, no yogurt soup recipe :(

Yaya said...

Hahaha! Something between the legs....

Midwest Mommy said...

Oh my gosh! How much fun!! Oh and totally grossed out too, lol

The Garden of Egan said...

Oh, my heck, you are funny! Awesome that your brothers were able to keep their fingers in check and I'm really sorry about having to hear what your parents want but seriously should not be able to do.................ick.

Jane In The Jungle said...

ROFLMAO!!!!!!
Since the war!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kristi Veale said...

Just leave it to Sally.....she is good that those coversations....never affraid to say what's on her mind. Even with her GRAND DAUGHTER/S!