When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




October 20, 2009

Caramel Corn


First I must say I love my new header!! Tara my DIL was is charge of picture taking at our Sugar Cookie/Caramel Corn Swaray and she took some darn cute pics. Everyone of my grand kids except cute baby Will is in the shot. He was sleeping.



My recipe for Sugar Cookies is already documented in my blog recipe's it is not the buttery sugar cookie recipe (although those are delish also) These cookies are so light and fluffy, because they have 6 eggs in them. Papa's grandma used to say they were like eating little cakes. That about sums it up.



Here is the Caramel Corn recipe. I took a picture but, my camera was stolen by my picture taker.



Here goes:



2 Cubes of butter ( 1 Cup)

2 1/2 Cups packed brown sugar

1 Cup Karo syrup (Dr. Oz says this stuff is death but what does he know? The answer to that question is everything. I love him, but a little Caramel Corn at Halloween won't kill you. I don't think anyway. I'll ask Dr. Oz.)

1 Cup sweetened condensed milk ( I wonder what Dr. Oz would say about this stuff.)



In a large heavy pot, melt the butter. Then mix in all the rest of the ingredients. Keep the heat at a medium low at this time. Then when everything is mixed well turn the heat up a little bit stirring constantly until you can tell the mixture is coming to a boil. Let it come to a boil and let it boil for 5 minutes. Be careful with your heat because this stuff scorches easily. DO NOT stir during this 5 minute period just let it come to a slow rolling boil. If you don't the Caramel Corn will be sugary.



After the mixture has finished boiling, pour over popped corn. Let me see I use about 10 to 12 Cups. (I think) Sorry about the measurement there. I just pop as much as my popcorn popper will hold.



Mix the Caramel and pop corn together well. I use a large wooden spoon for this. Remember this stuff is beyond hot, so don't be stupid and burn yourself. Definitely do not lick the spoon with out making sure it won't burn your tongue off. I have done this in the past. Not fun!!



Pour mixture out on some wax paper. spread it out so it isn't just a big blob of Caramel Corn sitting there and let cool. You can make it into popcorn balls if you want to but, I don't. Too big of a hassle.



Hope you enjoy this scrumptious treat. If you have any questions call 555-555-5555.



Love Nana, as you can see my little icon that should be down here is at the top of the page. I don't know how I did that but whatever.

13 comments:

Kristina P. said...

So, does this caramel corn stay really soft and gooey? Mine is always hard. Boo.

Kelly said...

I think it's written somewhere that during October we're all excused from worrying about eating junk. And I actually think I also read that it's excused till after the first of the year.

Mary said...

AWESOME header!! Look at all them precious babies... love it!

Oh yeah, and the caramel corn sounds pretty darned good too. I love Dr. Oz too of course, but I don't EVER want him to visit my blog LOL!!

Mandy said...

Nana love picture header!! You have darling grankids!!
Yummy recipe can't wait to try it!! Today is a YUCKY day outside, a good day for some comfort food for sure!! Thanks for sharing!

Small House said...

Your grandkids are adorable. What a cute-cute grandma you are.

Thanks for the carmel corn recipe. I LOVE CARMEL CORN!
Glad you had a good time.
Have a great day.
Sandra

Grand Pooba said...

Ok I still need to make your sugar cookie recipe to see who's fairs best. Although I'll tell you right now that anything I bake turns to gold so I'm sure they'll be good either way.

(What a darling header!)


Would you get off the phone already! I've been calling you for the last half hour and keep getting a busy signal.

The Garden of Egan said...

Uh, yummy! That looks like a passel of kiddos helping you out! They are very cute by the way.
I am going to have to try the recipe because I totally LOVE carmel corn.

Amanda said...

Mmmmm, I LOVE caramel corn! I've never attempted to make my own before but perhaps I'll try this year...

Connie said...

Cute header! Do you have a new hairstyle? Darling! What adorable grandkids!
This recipe sounds delish, I'll have to wait until I get the permanent crown before I can eat this fantastic carmel corn!

Mimi Sue said...

I love me some good caramel corn. This recipe sounds delish. I'm definitely starting my diet on Jan. 1st. Or maybe the 2nd. You have adorable grandkids. Were you 5 when you started having kids? Love your new hair cut. Mimi

Deanna said...

I absolutely love your new header! The caramel corn sounds awfully good. Will have to try it sometime.

BluRibbonz said...

This sounds good... I havent seen a recipe call for condensed milk! I will have to try this! Can I suggest the use of mushroom popcorn though? Mushroom popcorn is a sturdier type of popcorn than microwave popcorn, which breaks to pieces when you mix it. Plus, it pops into balls, giving it that old fashioned Cracker Jacks looks =) I love to get the kernals so I can pop it myself - I get mine from www.justpoppin.com

Anonymous said...

Nice post... Looks like solid-state memory is really beginning to take off. Hopefully we'll start seeing a drop in solid state harddisk prices in the near future. 5 dollar 32 gig Micro SD Cards for your Nintendo DS flash card... sounds gooooood.

(Submitted on KU2 for R4i Nintendo DS.)