When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




November 24, 2009

Peanut Butter-Banana Sandwich, Bread Pudding With Dark Caramel Sauce

I found this recipe in the November 2009 Southern Living Magazine. If you want to find some really, really tasty recipes this magazine is the place to go. Pioneer Woman is featured in this particular month also, so if you are a fan of hers check it out.

I am not thrilled with my picture here, it doesn't do the dessert justice, sorry.

When I served this Sunday evening all I heard was ....Mmmmmmmmmm, a couple of OH MY! I got a Honey This Is Delicious from Papa, so needless to say it is a keeper.

Here goes:

8 buttermilk bread slices, crusts removed. ( I did not remove the crusts)
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 bananas, thinly sliced
2 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 TBS. brown sugar
1 3/4 cups shipping cream ( I used heavy whipping cream, I am now trying to see how fat I can get)
Peanut Butter Streusel Topping (Oh Yeah)
Dark Caramel Sauce

1. Spread bread slices with peanut butter. top 4 bread slices with bananas and remaining bread slices, peanut butter sides down, pressing firmly. Cut sandwiches into 1 inch pieces; place in 8 lightly 8oz. Ramekins or mixture may be prepared in an 11x7 inch baking dish.

2.Whisk together eggs and sugars, whisk in whipping cream. Gradually pour mixture over sandwich pieces ; Sprinkle with Peanut Butter Streusel Topping. Place ramekins or baking dish in a 15 x 10 inch jelly roll pan. Cover and chill 2 to 24 hrs.

3. Pre heat oven to 375 degrees. Let puddings or pudding (depending on what you are baking it in) stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown, set, and puffed. Serve warm with Dark Caramel Sauce.

Peanut Butter Streusel topping:

Stir together 1/4 cup all purpose flour and 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar in a bowl. Cut in 2 TBS. butter ( cold butter, I wish the recipe would have specified this, it makes the streusel more crumbly) and 2 TBS creamy peanut butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles small peas. stir in 1/4 cup chopped salted peanuts.

Dark Caramel Sauce:

Cook 1 cup sugar in a 3 qt. heavy saucepan over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes or until sugar caramelizes, tilting and swirling pan to incorporate mixture.

Now this is a procedure that was new to me. I have never caramelized sugar before. It took longer then 8 minutes. I was freaked out because I thought I was burning it, therefore I didn't do it quite right.

When doing this don't be worried when sugar starts to brown, it is supposed to. Just don't let it burn. The sugar will start melting as you cook it, just keep tilting and swirling as the recipe says. Don't leave it on the burner unattended or you will screw it up.

Stir in 1 cup whipping cream. The mixture will bubble and harden, like a rock. Don't be alarmed.
Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture melts and begins to boil (about 5 - 7 minutes). Quickly pour sauce into a bowl; stir in 1 tsp. vanilla extract. Let cool 15 minutes. Serve warm or cool.

To make ahead, cover and chill up to 3 weeks. ( 3 weeks seems a little long to me) To reheat, cook, uncovered, in a microwave-safe glass bowl.

This is so good it is worth the time it takes to prepare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you are a bread pudding fan you will love, love, love this.

Enjoy!



16 comments:

Joycee said...

Oh my, this is a keeper! Can't wait to try it on my Bread Pudding Lovin' grandsons! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Kristina P. said...

Are you kidding me? This is what heaven must taste like.

Debbie said...

I am a Southern Living girl through and through. That is a good issue.

The Garden of Egan said...

This looks YUM and don't you just LOVE Pioneer Woman? I would love to have found a book signing to go to.
Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

TMI Tara said...

Now how is it that I missed out on this dessert? I watched you make it, and then went home! Hmph! Something is not right about that.

You forgot to mention how to *find* the butter as you are cooking this dessert.

"Butter? Butter? Butter....?"

Amanda said...

That does sound good and I think that the picture looks delicios! Even though I just ate a huge lunch it's making me hungry.

Jane In The Jungle said...

Oh yeah....and of course it came from Southern Living...their Christmas issue is the BEST!

Grand Pooba said...

Dang that is quite the recipe! Bread Pudding is my dad's absolute favorite! Maybe I can convince him to let you have the yogurt soup recipe in exchange for this one. Good trade I'd say!

blueviolet said...

Oh now, that does look good!

Noni at The Brick Street Bungalow said...

That issue of Southern Living was FULL of good looking recipes! And, I have never found any variety of bread pudding I didn't love! With your high recommendation, I'm going to have to give this one a try for sure.

Love your little helpers! LOL! They look like they are having so much fun... that's what really makes the holidays!

And, your Dad with Donny Osmond. I'm impressed!

Connie said...

Who needs pumpkin pie when this dessert is made? Sounds absolutely delish!

Bennett Bunch said...

This was a very tasty desert!

Deanna said...

My gosh, that just looks sinful. Have a very happy Thanksgiving!

RW @ TrueBeauty said...

I am a HUGE bread pudding fan! I'm going to try making this today! Thanks!

Alexis AKA MOM said...

Now this would so be one the boys would LOVE!! I'll have to make this for them! Thanks Nana :)

wendy said...

oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh ---sounds way to WONDERFUL