When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




December 27, 2009

A Bitter Sweet Christmas

I want to tell all of my bloggy friends Merry Christmas. However, I know I am a little late. You know a day or two late and a dollar or two short. (i know lame) This has been a bitter sweet holiday. Mostly sweet.

We have had the family parties and get togethers which have been loads of fun.
We have also had family get togethers that have been heartbreakingly sad, yet full of love. The kind of love we need to think about always.
The kind of love we were put on this earth to experience even though sometimes with that love comes grief and sorrow.

We are losing Jack. Some of you know my brother in law has cancer. A year ago he was given 3 to 6 months to live. He has done a tremendous job at bucking his odds. He has worked at his keep on keeping on talents. He has dealt with his illness head on with a brave face and courage. Has never wanted an ounce of sympathy and always still the life of the party. He even has been working until last week when he became very ill and was put in the I.C.U.

As a family we have been tight this past week, circling our wagons so to speak. We have had some truly spiritual experiences. That I feel blessed to have been a part of. There is a life beyond, there are family members waiting. It would be inappropriate to get detailed and frankly some of you would just think I am nuts. I know we are being watched over and there is Heavenly communication. That there are angels on this earth. I will leave it at that. Jack and his wife Sissy have made the choice to get Jack out of the hospital and Hospice involved. Hospice has been a huge relief to their family.

I admire Sissy's strength and fortitude. She has been asked to do some tough things this last week. I know she is having her melt downs, but she is carrying on the best she can. There children and grandchildren have been able to be with them. I know this has meant the world to Jack.

Some may think it odd when I say this has been a truly sweet Christmas but it has. It has been a Christmas thinking more about our Savior's love and our love of family. The New Year may be difficult but, we will keep our wagon's circled and we will prevail.


16 comments:

Connie said...

I have chills and a lumnp in my throat just reading your post. I KNOW there are angels watching over us! I hope Jack and his family will cope well with his last days on the earth and that all of you will continue to feel our Savior's love! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Take care!

Kristina P. said...

Bittersweet holiday indeed.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Mimi Sue said...

So grateful for the Tender Mercies that we receive when times are tough. It's such a blessing to be reminded of what is truly important. Might not want to be reminded but still. Our prayers are with you and your family. Mimi

TMI Tara said...

Such a sweet post. We love Jack. It has been a sweet holiday indeed. Love you. xo

Midwest Mommy said...

I too believe there are angels amongst us. My prayers are with your family in the coming weeks.

Yaya said...

(((Hugs)))
You could go into details I certainly wouldn't think you are nuts. I believe.

Jane In The Jungle said...

All of you are being watched over and yes, there are angels on earth! Hospice is wonderful and such a blessing at this time. Know that you and your fmaily are being surrounded in prayer!

Hugs,
Jane

Mary said...

God bless you and know that I understand exactly what you are talking about when you say there are family members waiting. At the end of life I have witnessed that we indeed do live between the two worlds for a bit - I have seen it much too often to not know this for a fact.

We got my Mama involved in hospice at the end of her life. The hospital wanted to put her into a nursing home to die, but I was determined that no matter what, she would die at home in peace and surrounded by loved ones when she crossed over. Thank God for hospice.

The transition before is difficult and my heart goes out to you. Much love and prayers come your way my friend.

The Garden of Egan said...

My heart is with you and your family. The wagons circled will be what holds your sis together when the tough times come. Your thoughts were sweetly shared and I thank you for sharing those sacred feelings. You are in my prayers.

Amanda said...

I'm so sorry, I know how hard it is to lose a dear one to cancer. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Shelley said...

prayers for Jack and your family. What a blessing to be able to share this special kind of love with him at this most difficult time.
Like Truvy says, "Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion".
I, too, believe that there is life after this one and that family is waiting. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Ann On and On... said...

You are above me on SITS today....

I want to say how sorry I am that your family is facing this difficult situation. What a blessing to have so much love within the family. My prayers are with you!

Deanna said...

I understand when you say bittersweet but mostly sweet. I will keep Jack and his family in my prayers. Circling the family wagons provides them strength that anyone would believe possible.

I've heard Hospice is wonderful from everyone who has gone that route.

Queenie Jeannie said...

May God bless and keep your family! I love Tara and have read her blog for a while now. I understand your meaning, and it is bittersweet. Our faith keeps us afloat!!!

It was so nice to meet you Nana!!

I hope my blog will load for you soon, but I know you have more important things going on!!! Hugs!

wendy said...

I am so sorry to hear about the illness of Jack.
I wonder how strong I would be through such adversity --NO WAIT, I DON'T WONDER AT ALL, I don't want God to think he needs to give me that challenge and find out.
I am SURE I WOULD DO FINE.

It is as you said that sometimes through our greatest saddness comes a better understanding of family, and our Savior.

God bless and my your New Year be peaceful

Grand Pooba said...

I feel just awful for not getting to this post until today. What a sweet tribute to Jack, I know you and your family will miss him very much. Hang in there.