When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




December 28, 2009

Peppermint Meringue Cake With Chocolate Buttercream

Remember the chocolate peppermint cake I was working on a few weeks ago......... well here it is and it was worth it! I found the recipe in bon appetit magazine. I tweaked it a little because I decided to drink the alcohol it called for instead of putting it in the recipe. (c'mon now you know I don't drink!, hic up) To say it is rich is an understatement. This thing will put you into a chocolate coma. Plus it has enough cream in it to clog every artery you have. (sounds yummy right?) With that warning here we go.



Meringue Layers



1 cup powdered sugar

1/3 cup superfine sugar (yes, I did find it at the grocery store)

pinch of salt

3 large egg whites, room temperature

1/2 teas. cream of tartar

1/2 teas. vanilla

1/4 teas. peppermint extract ( If you are like me and lick every bowl you make anything in, except a raw meat dish, this will taste really too pepperminty. Don't worry, after you bake it the taste is mild.)





Peppermint Syrup



1/2 cup water

1/2 cup sugar

1 TBS. peppermint schnapps. I used 1/2 teas. peppermint extract.



Cake



1/2 cup all purpose flour

1/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 teas. baking powder

pinch of salt

2 large egg yolks

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 teas. vanilla



Buttercream



1 and 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces

3 TBS. light corn syrup

1 and 1/2 pounds bittersweet chocolate (do not exceed 61% cacao) chopped

1 teas. vanilla

pinch of salt



Meringue Layers:

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 175 degrees. Using pencil, trace two 12 X 4 inch rectangles on sheet of parchment paper, turn parchment over (rectangles will show through) and place on large rimmed baking sheet. Trace one 12X4 inch rectangle on second sheet of parchment paper, turn parchment over and place on second rimmed baking sheet.



Sift powdered sugar, superfinesugar, and salt into medium bowl. combing egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl of heavy duty stand mixer fitted with wire whisk, beat on medium low speed until frothy. Increase speed to medium high and beat until soft peaks form. Increase speed to high, gradually add sugar mixtur and beat until stiff and glossy peaks form, about 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla and peppermint extracts. divide meringue equally among prepared rectangels on parchment ( about 1 and 1/3 cup each) Spread meringue evenly within traced lines.



Bake meringues until dry and crisp but not browned, about 3 hours. Turn off oven and let meringues cool completely in oven.



when ready carefully remove meringue's from parchment.



I don't even know why I am printing out this stupid recipe no one is going to make it.

I already feel like I have been typing for 3 hrs.



Peppermint Syrup:



Oh my gosh!! I am so not in the mood for this. The cake is great blah, blah, blah....... I will edit this later and give you the rest of the recipe. If any of you want it really bad leave me a comment and I will finish it up for ya!





Thank all of you for your concern and love you have shown my family. Jack is still with us, but I am sure he will be gone soon. Papa and I sat with him today while his wife ran some errands. . He was talking on and off to those he could only see. There is a sweet peace in their home. He mentioned some of our loved ones who have passed that had been with him today. He goes in and out of sleep. He also talks to us and family members that aren't there. He was talking to his son and both of my son's this afternoon. He was talking to his grandchild, none of which were with us. I hope he can slip away peacefully.


It is a blessing to still be able to say I love you.


Tell your family you love them. Then go eat a big piece of cake!





10 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Are you kidding? That looks delicious!

Bonnie the Boss said...

My heart is with you and your family. What a difficult thing. But it sounds like he is a trooper.
The cake sounds divine BTW!

Bennett Bunch said...

This was good but it was a little much and I will not EVER be making it, EVER!

Mariah said...

"The cake is great blah, blah, blah......."

Well said! I was hungry when I saw the cake, but was so much more interested in your post when you mentioned Jack. So I went back to read your previous posts. I'm glad I did. I went from being hungry to crying at my desk here at work.

I'm glad you were in front of me at SITS today. This was so much more fulfilling than reading about someone's New Years plans!

Yaya said...

(((Hugs)))

love your commentary on 'no one's going to make this', lol!!!

The Pachuilo Family said...

Ok so I didn't read about your cake, but did read about my dad. Thanks for sitting with him, tell him I love him and miss him.

Grand Pooba said...

I need you to finish the recipe so that I know which kind of alcohol to drink instead of putting it in the cake.

Please clarify.

Thanks so much.

Sook said...

Mmmmm.... this looks great. I've always wanted to make buttercream frosting at home. Looks great!

Anonymous said...

I want not approve on it. I over warm-hearted post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to read the sound story.

Anonymous said...

Good post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.