When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




February 7, 2010

Fresh Strawberry Cake










Yes, I did. I decided to whip up some sugary goodness for the Super Bowl. As you can see Papa was so disappointed about the whole thing.


This cake is going to be one of our family favorites, that's for sure. Good old Paula pulled through again. I don't think I have ever tried a Paula Deen recipe I did not like!!!!!!!!!! That woman knows her way around a kitchen.

I have been wanting to make this cake since Christmas time but, there were no fresh strawberries around here. Well, there were but they cost a billion dollars so I decided to wait. Lo and Behold when I went to Costco the other day.... ta da..... strawberries.


Mmmmm I could have eaten the whole bowl of frosting myself.


Here we go:


1 cup butter

1 3/4 cups sugar

5 egg whites

2 teas. strawberry extract

2 cups pureed fresh strawberries
1/2 cup sour cream

3 cups cake flour

1 TBS. baking powder

1 teas. baking soda

1/4 teas. salt


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 3 (9 inch) cake pans.


In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in strawberry extract, pureed strawberries, and sour cream.


In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating until combined.Pour batter evenly into prepared pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool completely on wire rack. Spread Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with fresh strawberries, if desired.


Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting:


1/4 cup butter, softened

1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened

1/4 cup pureed fresh strawberries

1/2 teas. strawberry extract

6 1/2 ( I used 7 1/2 cups) cups powdered sugar

When using 7 1/2 cups powdered just add a little milk to make it creamy.


Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!


16 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I can totally taste this. I love strawberry anything!

Cherie said...

I am with you Paula Deene has some great recipes!!
This one definately looks like a keeper!!
Hard to believe in just a few months it will be strawberry season but in the meantime Yayyy for Costco!!

tina_bakes said...

bloghopping and came around yours!! it's so heartwarming to see your pics with the grandkiddies!! i hope to be a cool nana like you one day!! :)

p/s: i like to feed loved ones too (and myself, unfortunately!!) haha

TMI Tara said...

Even though I LOVE you guys to death, I'm glad we went to the "low-fat" party. I couldn't have said no to this cake and I have to weigh in tomorrow!!!

Mary said...

Boy that sure looks good! If I had been there I'm sure I'd have fought Papa for that mixing bowl!

Connie said...

Yum! 3 layers!! A little different recipe than the previous sandwich post! I wonder if one could make this scrumptious cake with frozen strawberries.

blueviolet said...

Oh my word, that looks good!!!!

Amanda said...

Mmmmm, decadent!

Bennett Bunch said...

This cake was sooooo GOOD! I want a piece right now!

Mimi Sue said...

This cake sounds so delish and springish. I do love a good Paula Deen recipe. Mimi

Jane In The Jungle said...

I Paula not the best??? My hero! And yes, I sound just like her....being from the south and all, LOL!

wendy said...

Oh yeah, I love the way Papa is helping you "clean up"
Sounds and looks so delicious!!!

Did you save me a piece. I wish I had some people around to cook for. It would be diet suicide for me to cook a whole cake for me and hubby alone.

Grand Pooba said...

7 1/2 cups of powdered sugar?! Sounds perfect.

You know I have never attempted a three teer cake before! I must try!

I made bread yesterday, I decided I knead (oh yes I slipped that in there on purpose) a new bread recipe.

So gimme!

Deanna said...

I would have fought papa for the icing bowl. That looks so yummy!

Bonnie the Boss said...

Oh how wish I wasn't trying to loose 90000000 lbs and I would make this! It sounds so yummy!

Shelley said...

I just slobbered on my shirt from all the drooling. I am making this cake tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe.