When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




February 16, 2010

Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage

This is what Papa requested for his Valentine Day dinner. As you can see it was a low calorie meal.
What is it?

Breaded pork loin chops with caramelized onions
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage
Cauliflower and green beans

Yes, I spent Sunday afternoon cooking but, it was totally worth it!

We love sweet and sour red cabbage. My grandma used to make it when I was a kid. (I hated it then) Papa's grandma always made it too. Both of our grandmothers were German and this is a big German dish.

He goes:
2 TBS. Butter
1/2 of an onion, chopped
1 medium head of red cabbage, shredded
1 small tart apple, thinly sliced
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 teas. salt
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

In large saucepan, melt butter. Add onion, saute until tender. Add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine. Cover, simmer 45 minutes Stirring occasionally.

Mmmm Mmmm Good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



9 comments:

KelleyAnne said...

That looks so DEEEEElishous! I can even smell it♥

Kristina P. said...

Sounds delicious! I think I am going to make that banana pudding recipe, you posted, this weekend.

Cherie said...

It looks really pretty on the plate too! Love it :D

The Garden of Egan said...

That sorta looks yummy!!!!

Mandy said...

Can't wait to surprise my husband with this, he served his mission in Hungary and he loves cabbage because of it. I on the other hand have had a hard time finding a recipe that was any good!! Thanks for sharing!!

Connie said...

I can see how you wouldn't like it as a kid. I'm totally going to try this!

Deanna said...

That looks totally yummy! Papa is a very lucky man.

Amanda said...

My grandma used to make that, too!! I love it :)

Mimi Sue said...

My grandmother's maiden name was Studle! From Stuttgart! We grew up eating food just like that. I've been looking for a recipe for red cabbage that's yummy and this one sounds great. I'll be making it this week and I'll let you know how it turns out. Mimi