When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




March 18, 2010

Banana Cream Cake

I know I am supposed to be searching for good diabetic recipes. I still am. I have just been taken off of the trail of no sugar with Holidays, birthdays, Tuesday's and Wednesday's etc.

Anyway I whipped this up as a back up cake for my mom's birthday last Sunday. We were having a big crowd over and I thought we wouldn't have enough cake. Of course what happened was then everyone just had two or more... (Chad) gigantic pieces of pure deliciousness instead of one because we all have to try both cakes.

Chad ( my brother) doesn't even like banana. He went NUTS over this cake. Yes, it is that good which surprised me because well, I flopped at the stupid frosting recipe so I kind of made this one up. I didn't like the cake recipe so I changed it and as they say " it all turned out in the wash." I don't know why they say that.

For mom's birthday I am going to do a post about our family trip to Las Vegas a few years ago. My other brother Matt brought this story up at mom's party and I can't believe I have not posted it. However, it is too long for today and I have to find some really weird pictures for it.

Does anyone know where I can get a picture of a man soaking in a motel tub while his mom is invading his privacy by sitting next to him on the toilet having a diarrhea explosion? No?

That is just the tip of the ice burg in that story. What a crappy trip. However, now Matt and mom have special memories together that no one can match and no one wants to.

Now back to the cake.
Doesn't that look yummy?
Here we go:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
2 eggs
3 mashed bananas
1 cup sour milk or buttermilk, to make sour milk just add a teaspoon of white vinegar to the milk and let it sit for a few minutes. The milk will curdle, hence the sourness.
1 teas. vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teas. baking soda
1 teas. baking powder
1/2 teas. salt
Mix sugar and shortening until creamy. Add eggs, bananas, milk, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixed and creamy. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Slowly add to creamed mixture while mixer is on a slow setting. When all the flour is mixed in put the beater on high for 1 to 3 minutes.
Pour batter into a prepared 9 X 13" cake pan. Prepared means I greased it and floured it. I just use Pam spray for baking.
Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes. Just watch it and when you can stick a toothpick in the middle of the cake and it comes out clean you know the cake is done. I only needed to bake this cake for 30 minutes.
Cream Frosting:
1 Large package instant vanilla pudding
1 can sweetened condensed milk This is what I believe should be called Nectar of the God's.
1 to 1 1/2 cups Cool whip. I know, if any of you follow this blog closely I always dog Cool Whip. Well I was panicking because people were coming over SOON. I was flying by the seat of my pants with this concoction and I did not feel I had the time to mess with whipping cream. The Cool Whip turned out to be a great asset.
Caramel Sauce and as usual I only use Mrs. Richardson's. Warm it up in the microwave.
Mix the pudding as directed on the package
Add the sweetened condensed milk and mix thoroughly. Then lick all the left overs you can get out of the can.
Then add the Cool whip and mix it in thoroughly. Make sure the cake is completely cooled and poor over the cake.
You will have left over frosting. Just set it out with the Caramel Sauce and everyone will dob extra frosting on their cake when they are drizzling on the warm caramel sauce. It WILL get eaten.
Enjoy!!!!!


7 comments:

Joycee said...

Oh yum!!! Sorry the Haunted Hotel caused you to lose sleep last night! lol

Kristina P. said...

Recipe, please!!

TMI Tara said...

Shockingly I still lost 3.2 lbs after you fed me that wicked piece of cake. I swear, I can't go to your house when I'm trying to lose weight, there's just too much temptation! Delicious temptation, but still!

Garden of Egan said...

Yumminess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Connie said...

Holy Ambrosia! Is this as delicious as it looks? Is your story as bizarre as it sounds? I'll be looking forward to THAT post! Maybe someone can do a reinactment and take a pic for you!

Deanna said...

Oh my goodness. That cake looks awesome!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Wow, this really does look heavenly. Thanks!!