When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




April 22, 2010

Smoky Black Bean Soup

Since the weather is changing every ten minutes where I live. I decided it wasn't too late to give you a good soup recipe I found from Weight Watchers.


This is really really easy to make, it tastes delicious, so what more could you want?


Here we go:


1 tsp. canola oil

1 large onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 14 1/2 oz. can reduced sodium chicken broth

2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels

1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 cup prepared mild salsa

1 teas. chipotle chile powder, or chile powder

1 teas. ground cumin

1 cup chopped cooked boneless pork loin

3 TBS. chopped fresh cilantro

1 teas. fresh lime juice

4 TBS. fat free sour cream

2 TBS. chopped scallions


1. Heat the oil in large nonstick saucepan set over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 8 minutes.


2. Add enough water to the broth to equal 2 cups. (I just added more chicken broth. I thought that would taste better and it turned out great) Add the broth, corn, beans, salsa, chile powder, and cumin to the saucepan, bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the flavors are blended, about 5 minutes. Stir in the pork, cilantro,and lime juice, simmer until heated through, about 3 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the sour cream and scallions

Give it a try, you will like it!!

17 comments:

Amanda said...

Mmmm, I love soup!

Garden of Egan said...

That looks absolutely delicious!
It's raining here so that sounds like an absolutely yummy dinner.

Thanks for sharing that one.

Julie Harward said...

It's doing the same trick on us here and this soup looks just wonderful to me...thanks for sharing it! Come say hi :D

Connie said...

The soup looks perfectly wonderful. How many points would that be...maybe 3?
You can tell by the recipes I've been posting that I'm really concerned about the points! (yeah, right)

Rebekah said...

This looks so yummy!! I'll be trying this very soon! Thanks for posting it!

Kristina P. said...

This looks like a taco soup I make. It's delicious!

Small House said...

OH YUM!!! I love a good soup recipe. And the fact it comes from Weight Watchers means I can probably have at least 3 bowls to myself. NO CALORIES RIGHT? HAHAHAHA

Cherie said...

Oh man Nana it has been storming away here and this looks really, really delicious! I LOVE soups and even though I like summer I always look forward to Fall because it is just so good to make warm yummy food.
Thanks for this recipe it looks like a keeper!

Mary at Deep South Dish said...

The weather has really been odd elsewhere in the country, but I have to say for once, we are actually having a spring down south! Summer will quickly be here, so I'm absolutely enjoying it. Been spending a goodly bit of time in the garden while I can!!

That's a great soup!! Hope your weather straightens up soon. Happy Friday!

Mimi Sue said...

Sounds delish. Great for a snowy April day! What's up with that? Mimi

TMI Tara said...

I have a sore throat at the moment and this sounds SO good. I wish you'd bring me some. I'm just sayin.

Jane In The Jungle said...

I love soup...could eat it year round and my family refuses to eat it in the summer....so what if it's 95 outside...I'm ranking th AC in!!! Sometimes I just do it to.....make my point that I am in charge around here, LOL!

Live.Love.Eat said...

It looks awesome. I never was able to finish my Soup's On series because it is now over 80 here in FL. I'll save this for next year :)

Deanna said...

Sounds yummy

gigi said...

I've made this before and it is wonderful!

KelleyAnne said...

We are HUGE soup lovers around here. I will definitely try this recipe. Sounds so, so good!

Live.Love.Eat said...

This looks wonderful and I love everything in it!!!!! I just wish I could eat soup but it's 90 everyday now.