When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




November 16, 2010

Spicy Tomato Soup With Avocado Relish

This soup is YUMMY!! Just the ticket on a cold winter day.
Whip up some Jiffy Rolls to go with it and you are set.


I found this recipe in "Down Home With The Neelys" Love their stuff.
As usual I tweaked it a little to fit my families taste buds. ( I should say my taste buds, I'm the cook I can do what I want.)

Here goes:
2 TBS. olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
2 carrots, peeled, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 - 2 teas. dried thyme
1/2 teas. dried crushed red pepper flakes
salt
Two 28 oz. cans peeled tomatoes with juice
(I used two of my quart bottles of tomatoes that I had bottled from my garden. Not braggin just sayin.)
6 cups chicken broth
2 bay leaves
2 TBS. chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 to 2 teaspoons sherry-wine vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper

Avocado Relish:
WARNING: Let your husband know he is to only take 1 to 2 tablespoons and dolip it into his soup. He is not to take the bowl of relish and dump the whole thing in his soup leaving the rest of the group relishless.

1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
1/2 small red onion, finely choppe
1/2 seedless cucumber, peeled and chopped
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves ( I left this out. I don't care for cilantro.)
1 serrano chile, seeded and finely chopped ( I also left this out as, I did not think the small children or my dad could handle it. I am glad I left it out because the soup is spicy enough.)
2 TBS. fresh lime juice
salt

Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, thyme, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt, and cook, sitrring, until the ingredients are fragrant and tender, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, broth, and bay leaves, and bring to a boil. Reduce  the heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the avodado relish. combine the avocado, red onion, cucumber, cilantro, serrano chile, lime juice, and a generous sprinkling of salt in a medium bowl. Taste for seasonings, and add more salt or lime as desired.

After the soup has simmered, discard the bay leaves and stir in the chipotle peppers and vinegar. Working in batches puree the soup in a blender  or food processor and return it to the pot. Season the puree with additional salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, and serve each portion garnished with a few tablespoons of the avocado relish. Those in my group that got no relish still liked the soup very much! What am I going to do with Papa?
The Neelys have some really good recipes in this book.
They are also on the food network.
They are also very cute.





6 comments:

Midwest Mommy said...

Can you send some over for lunch today, lol?

Kristina P. said...

This sounds simply perfect! I can taste the cool avocado with the tomato soup.

Julie Harward said...

Thanks for sharing that...it sounds and looks really delicious! ;D

Nonna Beach said...

Yum....now a nice loaf of crusty bread and we're set !!!

Connie said...

You're right! It would be perfect on a cold evening, or in the middle of the day, or whenever! Sounds DELICIOUS! Thanks for the warning on the relish. That's something my hubs would do.

Mimi Sue said...

Sounds delish. I love soup, it's a one pot meal usually. You should be braggin if you bottle tomatoes. It's a lot of work. Mimi