When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




November 22, 2010

Turkey Trot or in my case Turkey Wobble

This was the scene in Syracuse Saturday morning. It was the Turkey Trot 5K race to raise money for Chloe's Sunshine Playground. 
That is Chloe and daddy Oby in front there. Papa and I are still back in the building trying to register. I didn't know they would not take checks and even with Papa trying to use his powers of persuasion with statements such as "You mean even though we are Chloe's grandparents and OUR check is good, you won't take it." We were out of luck.  We walk ran the race anyway.  


Chloe was just happy to be there. Luckily the rain did not arrive until the race was over.



She giggled the whole way. I know this from her father since Papa and I  were not able to get going until  5 minutes after the race had started. We were walking fast to try and at least keep up. I knew a few minutes into it that my bum knee which had been feeling pretty good lately was going to be a problem. I started to slowly jog here and there because it actually felt better than walking. I used to run 5 miles a day. What has happened to me? 
Anyway, we crossed the finish line after a very quick 53 minutes. What a joke. Well, at least we finished and we were not last. 
I know that is hard to believe.
I was thrilled to see so many people there. Tara my DIL has been working very hard to raise money for this playground.
The city of Syracuse has been going all out to help her.
I don't know when they will be able to build but, I know they will.


This is Chloe and me after the race. The wind did not help either one of our hairdo's out one little bit.
Now you can also see why my brother's call me Phil (my dad) when I have on no make-up. Actually I look more like Phil's mother, my grandma Taylor.
I feel like an old grandma since I have barely been able to walk since Saturday.
Maybe it's time to go back and get this knee checked again.
It was fun to be there anyway. The community that surrounds my son and his little family could not be any sweeter and supportive.
Thank you to everyone.


11 comments:

Garden of Egan said...

That is so sweet! I think you look beautiful!
Chloe is a darling!

Julie Harward said...

That is such a good cause! And you are a wonderful grandma for doing it! Happy Thanksgiving :D

Kristina P. said...

Good for you guys! Even with rain potential, you push on.

Nonna Beach said...

Oh, what a wonderful idea to raise money for ! I hope the goal will be met...loved reading about it all !

wendy said...

You used to run 5 miles a day....wow.
I try and walk 3 miles a day at home, when It's not freezing.
Chloe is a cutey patooty for sure.

thanks so much for your kind words of love and support regarding the death of my son. It has been hard. We'll get through, a little more each day. (just a little)

blueviolet said...

Oh heck, I don't think the wind did a thing to take away from yours and Chloe's cuteness. Did I see she lost a tooth in one of those shots? :)

Jane's In The Jungle said...

Hey you did better then I would have!
So great to see so many people supporting the playground.

Jamie said...

So glad you were all able to work on this cause together. What a fantastic Nana you are!

Connie said...

What a great cause. I just love that little Chloe! I think you both look darling in the picture. I hope your knee gets feeling better! What we don't do for our grandkids!

Midwest Mommy said...

You are awesome! What a great cause!

The Pachuilo Family said...

I am so glad that it all turned out. It looks like they had a great turn out. If we were close by, we would have joined you.