First Things first. Papa did great and all is well.
Although, I did think maybe we would find my wedding rings.
This pie is DIVINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I found the recipe in November's issue of Better Home's and Garden's.
I made it for Thanksgiving and I ended up wishing I had made two.
It is truly worth your time!
You will need pie pastry for a single pie.
You also could use 1 rolled refrigerated unbaked pie crust. However, I don't know why you would want to ruin a wonderful pie like this with refrigerated crust. Just my opinion.
I feel if you are going to take the time, go all the way and make homemade crust.
Pastry. (We have already established that.)
1 tsp. unflavored gelatin
2 TBS. cold water
6 egg yolks
1 - 1 1/2 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk (2 cups)
1/4 cup whipping cream ( I used heavy whip cream)
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup lemon juice ( I use fresh lemon juice)
Thin lemon peel slivers
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll out pastry on a floured surface to circle about 12 inches in diameter. Transfer to a 9 inch pie tin without stretching. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry Crimp edge as desired. Prick bottom and sides of pastry with a fork. Place in freezer 10 minutes. Line pastry with foil fill with dried beans or pie weights. Place on a foil lined baking sheet; bake 30 minutes. Carefully remove foil and beans. Bake 15 minutes more. Cool on wire rack.
(If using rolled refrigerated crust, bake according to package directions. Which I think say to throw it in the garbage.)
2. In a small bowl soften gelatin in water 5 minutes. Heat in microwave for 14 seconds; set aside.
3. In large bowl combine egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk. With an electric mixer, beat on high speed for 2 to 3 minutes until well combined. Beat in gelatin, whipping cream and salt on low speed. Add lemon juice and beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Pour into prepared crust (pie will be full)
4. Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until center of pie looks set when gently shaken; cool on wire rack 1 hour. Cover loosely and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
5. Top with whipped cream and lemon peel slivers just before serving