When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




January 19, 2011

Lemon Velvet Cream Pie

First Things first. Papa did great and all is well.
 Although, I did think maybe we would find my wedding rings.



This pie is DIVINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I found the recipe in November's issue of Better Home's and Garden's.
I made it for Thanksgiving and I ended up wishing I had made two.
It is truly worth your time!

You will need pie pastry for a single pie.
You also could use 1 rolled refrigerated unbaked pie crust. However, I don't know why you would want to ruin a wonderful pie like this with refrigerated crust. Just my opinion.
I feel if you are going to take the time, go all the way and make homemade crust.

Anyway....
Here goes:

Ingredients:
Pastry. (We have already established that.)

1 tsp. unflavored gelatin
2 TBS. cold water
6 egg yolks
1 - 1 1/2 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk (2 cups)
1/4 cup whipping cream  ( I used heavy whip cream)
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup lemon juice  ( I use fresh lemon juice)
Whipped Cream
Thin lemon peel slivers

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Roll out pastry on a floured surface to circle about 12 inches in diameter. Transfer to a 9 inch pie tin without stretching. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry Crimp edge as desired. Prick bottom and sides of pastry with a fork. Place in freezer 10 minutes. Line pastry with foil fill with dried beans or pie weights. Place on a foil lined baking sheet; bake 30 minutes. Carefully remove foil and beans. Bake 15 minutes more. Cool on wire rack.
(If using rolled refrigerated crust, bake according to package directions. Which I think say to throw it in the garbage.)

2. In a small bowl soften gelatin in water 5 minutes. Heat in microwave for 14 seconds; set aside.

3. In large bowl combine egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk. With an electric mixer, beat on high speed for 2 to 3 minutes until well combined. Beat in gelatin, whipping cream and salt on low speed. Add lemon juice and beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Pour into prepared crust (pie will be full)

4. Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until center of pie looks set when gently shaken; cool on wire rack 1 hour. Cover loosely and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

5. Top with whipped cream and lemon peel slivers just before serving


16 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Nom, nom, nom.

Connie said...

Looks pretty and delicious!
Glad all went well with hubby.

wendy said...

can I just come over and have you "serve" me a BIG piece of that delicious pie.
You saw my last baking attempt......I am not going there on that one.

colonoscopy is the WORST...not the procedure, but the cleaning out process before. HORRIBLE.

Julie Harward said...

You made my favorite pie my friend, and I just noticed on your side bar that you love Pepsi...we are kindred spirits girl...lets get together, ya ya ya! LOL

Barbaloot said...

It seems like the mornings when I'm determined to be really good and healthy are the days when I find blogs with yummy food on them!

Nonna Beach said...

Hooray...Papa is A - O.K. !!!

I saw this pie in BH&G and dreamed about making it...never did but glad yours was so delicious !

karen said...

Lemon pie... my favorite! Looks amazing. I had to laugh at you hoping to find your wedding rings during poor Papa's procedure. He probably wasn't amused.

Lisa said...

You really know how to make a pie look its best. I still can't figure out how you made such pretty leaves out of whipped cream. I'm starting a new linky on my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/01/sweets-for-saturday-1_21.html

ButterYum said...

You did a lovely job with that pie. Looks bakery good! The lemon makes me long for the return of summer too. Very nice.

:)
ButterYum

Sydney Jones said...

This pie is beautiful! I love the decorating :)

Amy said...

This looks absolutely beautiful! I love lemon and I'll make this for my next lemony desserts! Thanks for sharing.

scrambledhenfruit said...

Found your link on Sweets for Saturday and love your site! The pie looks wonderful- my boys prefer lemon desserts over chocolate, and they'd love this pie! Now if I can just get them all here at one time... :)Bookmarking now!

Sue said...

Your pie looks GORGEOUS and delicious!!!

Lisa said...

Thanks so much for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday. I really appreciate the support and hope you'll be able to join in next Saturday. By then I'll have a cute button that you can grab.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I log on to your blogs like every week. Your humoristic style is awesome, keep doing what you're doing!

My web site; Dragon City Cheat Engine

Anonymous said...

Do you have a spam issue on this blog; I also am a blogger, and
I was wondering your situation; many of us have developed
some nice procedures and we are looking to swap solutions with
others, please shoot me an e-mail if interested.



Here is my web page; Codes Psn Gratuit