When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




January 13, 2011

Red Velvet Brownies

These Brownies are DELISH!!!!
I know the picture is not that great but, believe me when I say they are yummy.
You can top this with white chocolate curls which make them look divine however, I was in a rush when I made these for a Christmas party so the curls were left for another day.

I also doubled the recipe and used a 9 X 13 X 2 inch cake pan. My thought is if you are going to make brownies why use an 8  or 9 inch pan. That just doesn't make a sufficient amount of brownie to go around.

Here goes:
This is the original recipe before I doubled it.
1 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
3/4 cup butter
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 ( 1 oz. ) bottle red liquid food coloring (Have fun finding this at the store during the Christmas Holiday or for Valentines Day! In other words buy some now.)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. salt
small batch cream cheese frosting
Garnish: white chocolate curls

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line bottom and sides of a 9 inch square pan with aluminum foil, allowing 2 to 3 inches to extend over sides; lightly grease foil. I didn't do this. I buttered the bottom and sides of the pan and left it at that. They turned out fine. (Remember I was in a rush.)


2. Microwave chocolate and butter in a large microwave - safe bowl at high 1 to 2 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring at 30 second intervals. Whisk in sugar. Add eggs, 1 at a time, whisking just until blended after each addition. Gently stir in flour and next 4 ingredients. Pour mixture into prepared pan.

3. Bake at 350 degrees for 44 to 48 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. cool completely on a wire rack (about 2 hrs.)

4. Lift brownies from pan, using foil sides as handles, gently remove foil....
Or just leave them in your baking dish like I did.
Spread with Cream Cheese Frosting.

Small - Batch Cream Cheese Frosting
Remember I doubled this recipe.

1 (80z.) package cream cheese, softened
3 TBS. butter, softened
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until blended. Stir in vanilla

ENJOY!
We did.


18 comments:

Julie Harward said...

Sounds Heavenly to me...perfect for Valentines day too! Thanks for sharing it :D

blueviolet said...

Sounds like a perfect dessert to me, with or without chocolate curls!

Kristina P. said...

Nom, nom, nom.

Creative Chaos in Arizona said...

Oh geez... I just drooled on the keyboard!

I must try these... thanks for sharing! :)

Cherie said...

Anything that is RED VELVET has got my attention!! YUM!

Deanna said...

I have visions of the tried and true Red Carpet Cake. Sounds yummy.

Although I didn't comment, I read you past couple of posts too. The Chloe song brought tears to my eyes. What a special child.

It must be the time of year. I've thought about quitting blogging also, but keep plodding. I started blogging for me and need to continue for me. Keep on keeping on!

Connie said...

Oh yeah! Perfect for Valentine's day, or Christmas, or even the 4th of July! They sound delish! THey look good too!

I agree about the 8" pan! What a waste! Let's make more of 'em!

Mimi Sue said...

Sounds delicious! Brownies are my favorite food. Mimi

Barbaloot said...

That picture looks yummy so they must be amazing in real life!

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

Oh yummy...I may just rapture!

Lorilee said...

Mmm, yummy! I also enjoyed your family slideshow!
Blessings,
Lorilee

Pemberley Court said...

How stinkin' cute is your blog?! I love it, what a fun Nana you are and your 8 babies are so blessed! I found you through a search for a primary song! :)

wendy said...

oh man, those look soooooooooo good. I love a good brownie.

now I have to go scrounge my cupboards for some chocolate!!!

Midwest Mommy said...

Yum!

Pemberley Court said...

LOL! I was doing a search for Saturday is a Special Day! :)

Thanks for visiting!!

Garden of Egan said...

Uhm YUM!!!!
Red Velvet anything.
Wow!

Grand Pooba said...

Anything with cream cheese frosting is all right in my book!

Bonnie the Boss said...

My mom makes a to die for red velvet cake for my dad every year. I might just have to try this.