When humor goes, there goes civilization. ~Erma Bombeck




March 16, 2012

Braised Kidney Beans and Sweet Potato

This is a yummy satisfying meal. I thought I had a pic. but, I do not. I will get you one.
I got this from "The world's Healthiest Recipes" web site.  I have found some really good recipe's there. As I said in a previous post we are trying to cut back on our meat in take. This recipe is a good one for that.

I have tweaked it a tad. Nothing new there.

Here goes:
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 TBS. fresh ginger, grated
2 carrot's sliced thin
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cups sweet potatoes, cut in 1 inch cubes. I usually can get 2 cups out of one big potato.
2 cups crimini mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. red chili powder
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 can tomato paste ( small can)
2 Cups or more (whatever you desire) chicken broth, or veggie broth. You may want more broth.
1 15 oz. can kidney beans, drained
Salt and pepper to taste.

Directions:
Chop garlic and onions.
Heat 1 TBS. oil and saute onion in a large pot over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent. Add garlic, ginger, carrot, pepper, sweet potatoes,and mushrooms. Continue to saute for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add spices and mix thoroughly. Mix tomato paste and broth together. cover, and simmer on low for about 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Add beans, salt, pepper and continue to cook for another 5 minutes on medium heat uncovered, or until vegetables are tender.

Serve over rice. I use Basmati rice.

There you go Taylor. My daughter wanted this recipe. ASAP. So that is why there is no picture.

3 comments:

Garden of Egan said...

That looks delicious!
I bet it smelled fabulous while it was cooking.

wendy said...

yum....that sounds really good. Usually my hubs won't eat sweet potatoes, but I bet he'd eat this one.

Grand Pooba said...

I wish I could say that looks delicious!

(But it does sound delicious)